-61-

y/n's pov

a few weeks later...

it was as if once mattia died, everything started falling apart. a new mafia arrived into town. the Prophets. (on my block tease cuz i am not using animal names as a mafia group anymore 😭)

a while ago, she remembered her dad telling her something about this gang. only there was none in new jersey, or so she thought.

they were ruthless, and all they wanted was blood.

"prophets and panthers have hated each other ever since the 1800s," alejandro told me. "their capo vincent was always set on killing mattia."

"well," i say. "someone beat him to it. any enemy of mattia is an enemy of mine. if he comes after any one of us, i'll kill him."

"don't waste your life just focusing on taking them down," kairi told me. "they're different than most mafias. they're actually dangerous."

"so am i," i reply. but kairi was right, i'm not gonna waste my life on the prophets. mattia wouldn't have wanted that. i think about what i should do next as i pet Riley on my lap.

mattia's pov

"how's your wound?" lena asked.

"it's getting better," i smile. "thank you for taking me in this past week."

"any decent human being would do it," she chuckles. "so anyway, your DNA test came back. it says you're half italian and half mexican." (pretend DNA tests can do that)

"italian and mexican, nice," i nod my head. "i wonder if i was fluent in both italian and spanish."

"have you remembered anything else about yourself?" she asks.

i shake my head. "no, not really."  i look down at my hand and saw the ring still there. whoever i was engaged to, i'm sorry. because i don't know if i'll ever make my way back to you.

"do you want something to drink?"

"sure," i accepted. lena placed a glass cup on the edge of the table, not knowing it was going to tip over. but i caught it immediately.

"wow nice reflexes," she compliments.

"i've noticed that about myself," i tell her. "i always react fast." what was i in my past life that made me like this?

"it's a handy trait," she shrugs. "anyway, you can stay here as long as you like. i have enough to provide."

"i seriously can't thank you enough."

"don't mention it. i'm thinking once you feel better we should go around the city, find out what you like and don't like."

"that'd be great," i said.

the two of us smile at each other and as we both talk and sip our drinks.

y/n's pov

a little over a year later...

everyday it was like a war with the prophets. so many people have died, but i was determined to see each and every last one of them dead. without the help of the panthers or kingstons, i'd for sure be dead.

"no one is safe," noah said to me. "every single time one of us walk out that door, there's a chance we'd never come back."

"i know," i nod. "that's why we're here. we need to recruit more of our people to bring back to jersey with us." we were currently in france to tell our soldiers here that they're needed in new jersey.

"prophets for sure have an ally too. i just don't know who."

every time i think, i fiddle with the locket that i still wear every single day. or i'll twist my engagement ring that's now on my index finger. i really wish mattia was here to tell me what to do.

"im gonna go for a walk," i tell noah. "tell alejandro and kairi i'll be back." i grab a leash and hooked it around Riley's neck so i can bring her with me.

"be careful," noah told me. "i know there aren't prophets here but watch your back anyway."

i nod and open the door. walking down the streets of france always calmed me. mattia would've loved it here, he loved traveling in general. i kept thinking about the day he died, i remember everything as if it was yesterday.

soon, i approached an italian restaurant. maybe it was the fact that it smelled really good or because it reminded me of him, either way i walked in. since they were pet friendly, riley went with me.

"hi can i just a get a cabonara to go please?" i ask the cashier.

"coming right up, you can wait over there," the lady told me.

i walked towards that direction but realized riley walked the opposite way cause she was sniffing a stranger.

"riley no stop it," i tug her leash. "i'm so sorry about tha-" my eyes widen at who was standing in front of me. my heart was beating so fast and loud, i thought the entire restaurant could hear me.

"it's okay, i love dogs," the man laughed. "i'm mattia, i'm the owner of this restaurant. what's you and your dog's name?"

.