-51-

y/n's pov

it's been a week since my father's death. a week of me not knowing what to do, how to run things around here. i haven't see mattia lately but honestly that was the last thing on my mind. my people need me. 

after his funeral i decided i was going to find xavier. he was going to own up to his actions-- for what he did. if it wasn't my dad, it was going to be mattia. that's no better. the thing was that his house was completely empty, he switched locations-- there was no trace of him.

"any update?" i ask hector.

he shakes his head. "no, but like us, xavier has always been good at hiding. your dad taught him a lot." 

"i don't care how long it takes," i reply. "i will find him."

"and then?"

"then i'll kill him."

"you want to spark up that kind of war?" hector asks. "with all due respect, you can't win. not without your..."

"not with my dad," i finish his sentence. "i'm open to suggestions."

"i suggest you go to sleep, get some rest," he answered. "the rest of the cobras and i will do everything we can to find him."

"it's barely evening." before hector could say anything my phone ran and interrupted us. 

"who is it?"

"mattia," i sigh. "i've been dodging his calls and texts lately, it just wasn't my priority."

"you should answer him," hector advises. "just... talk to him at least once."

i bite the inside of my cheek and walk out of the room before answering the call. "hey mattia."

"hey... it's good to hear your voice," he said happily. "i've been trying to get ahold you for days."

"yeah i'm sorry i'm just busy dealing a lot of things," i apologized. 

"yeah i figured," he said. "i just miss you. i wanna know how you've been holding up."

i lick my lips. "i've.. been better. but i miss you too."

"come over. i wanna see you," mattia pleaded.

"i don't know if that's a good idea," i laugh nervously. 

"your dad just died. it'd be disrespectful to cause any type of trouble right now, my people know that. and i wanna be here for you."

i think for a little bit before i answered him. "uh yeah okay i'll come by for a bit."

"great." i can hear his smile on the other end of the phone. "i'll see you soon."

i still remembered where he lived but i never really bothered bringing it up to my dad cause i was scared he'd wanna attack. maybe mattia can tell me what to do and how to lead my people. 

-

seconds after i ringed the doorbell, the door immediately opened, revealing him on the other side. i forgot how nice his smile was, or how nice his face was in general. 

"it's funny being back here again," i tease as i walk in. 

"i know," he agreed, "things are so different now." he closed the door and embraced me with a hug. "i missed you." 

"i missed you too," i say into his shoulder. we pull away and walk to his living room. 

"look who's here," mattia said. 

kairi and alejandro looked up from their phones and ran towards me before giving me a group hug. 

"holy shit," kairi yelled. 

i chuckle. "hi kairi, hi alejandro."

"how are you?" alejandro asked. 

"i'm fine," i nod. "i just need time to process everything."

"you're donna now huh?" said kairi. "i'm sorry for your loss."

"thank you. and yeah, but i don't know the first thing about leadership," i admit. "i can't really call myself donna." i had an uneasy look on my face and mattia must've noticed.

"can you guys leave us alone for a little bit?" mattia requests. they nod and pat my shoulder before leaving the room. "what's on your mind?"

"i'm scared," i answer honestly as we sit on the couch. "i was nowhere prepared for this-- like i was under the impression i would never have to be donna since i was suppose to marry xavier." 

"what've you been doing lately?"

"trying to track hir. that's all i've been focused on."

"we can help you," he offers. "we hate him too you know?"

i smile a little bit. "yeah that'd be great."

"i don't want there to be hate between the panthers and the cobras," said mattia. "i want to change that. with your help we can change that."

i started thinking about how i would have to tell my people about it. some of them saw what happened at the wedding but some still hate the panthers with every bone in their body. this would be the right move for everyone-- peace would be the right move for everyone. 

"i'll take to my people," i tell him. "or try to.."

"you're the donna," mattia reminded me. "take charge, show strength. make them believe in this cause. i know you can do it. you're a persuasive person." 

"easier said than done," i groan as i lay down on his chest. "and if they don't listen?"

he wraps his arm around my shoulder. "make them listen. put them in their place." i stayed quiet for a little bit. "hey," mattia snapped me out of it. "i love you."

he locks his fingers with mine. "i love you too." a lot of things have changed, but that hasn't. 

.