-40-

third person's pov

"y/n?" hector calls for her. "can i come in?"

mattia widens his eyes and looks a place to hide in around the room.

"uh, just a second," she shouted. there was a small room divider to change behind and mattia quietly makes his way over there. "okay come in."

"oh yeah," hector nods. "this is definitely the one. are you gonna get it?"

"yeah i like it," y/n smiles. knowing mattia approved as well was the main reason she was going to purchase it.

"great, i will go inform the worker right now." she expected hector to turn around and leave but instead she notices that he was subtly kicking his foot on the ground. "can i ask you something actually?"

she furrows her eyebrows in curiosity. "yeah... what is it?"

"you know how a couple nights before the masquerade ball we-"

not wanting mattia to hear, she interrupts him. "yeah. what about it?"

mattia was confused and really wanted to know what hector was about to say but he stayed quiet and continued listening.

"this is a long shot but if you weren't marrying someone else, would something be happening between us right now?" hector asks.

"it's hard to say." y/n was completely caught off guard by his question.

hector bites the inside of his cheek. "is it cause mattia still would've been a problem?"

"he's a panther," she replies. "nothing could happen, even if i wanted it to."

"right. well you look great and even though you hate him, xavier's a lucky guy," hector smiles. "i'll let you change."

once mattia heard footsteps trailing out the door, he came out from the behind the divider. "so... that was close."

y/n sensed the awkward tension. "you know i don't have feelings for him right?"

"does he know that though?" mattia crosses his arms.

"it doesn't matter if he knows," she looks down at her dress, referring to her upcoming wedding.

mattia wasn't going to be around y/n 24/7 so the thought of her spending so much time with hector made him feel insecure. "if he tries something with you-"

"wait, wait y/n don't change yet i wanna see," she heard avani barge through the door while mattia was standing directly next to her.

instinctively, avani reaches for her side and pulls out her gun, aiming it at him. "what the hell is he doing here?"

"avani put down the gun," y/n tells her. "it's okay, just put it down." she places her hand on top of avani's wrist, lowering it.

"i should go," mattia mumbled.

"yeah i think that's best," avani immediately responded.

mattia's pov

without capturing anyone else's attention, i left the same way i came in but then got stopped by someone before reaching my car.

"so unless you're getting married and playing the female role, you wanna tell me what you're doing here?" kairi asks.

did he follow me here? "i like.. looking at wedding dresses?" i answer.

"mattia polibio, why did i see hector and avani through the front window?"

i drop my head down. "i came to see y/n."

"why? are you stalking her now?"

i could say it was find to the location of cobra's house but even then, what excuse could i have for going inside the store. "cause i miss her kai. and in case you haven't figure it out by now, she's getting married." i point the store, filled with wedding dresses.

kairi's angry expression went away. "did she see you in there?"

i shake my head and lie. "no she didn't. no one saw me."

"look this is weird okay? you're like stalking a girl, a girl who wants nothing to do with you, unless it's to kill you."

maybe i should just tell him the truth now. "kairi-"

"no mattia let's just go home and wait for mariano," he cuts me off. "you're lucky y/n didn't see you. she could've killed you, especially since you were alone." if only he knew. "let's leave before they see us."

y/n's pov

"what the hell was that about?" avani whispers/shouts. "why was mattia here with you?"

"i didn't invite him, he sort of just showed up," i said.

"that's creepy," she says, "and weird."

"he's upset that i'm marrying another man," i sigh. "i guess he just wanted to see me in the dress or whatever, i don't know."

"that's less creepy but he can't just show up to hangout with you," she tells me. "has this happened before? when was the last time you saw him?"

"the masquerade ball," i lie.

"are you guys ready yet?" hector yells.

"we'll be right out," avani replies. "go change, we can talk about this later."

"thank you for not shooting him," i laugh a little.

"i definitely would've if you didn't interfere."

.