PART 1

Part 1:
Awake

Kim Seok Jin

I opened my suit case and unloaded all my things to a small closet as I look around the small cosy room that I was able to rent. Given the small money I had in pocket, it was the best room that fits my budget.

I sighed as I finished unpacking, I should find a temporary job while my application at a university as an instructor is not yet confirmed. I have to be practical while waiting. I can't just sit around and wait.

I should have accepted the offer of my sponsor to teach back in the previous school where I used to teach before I continued to study overseas. But I chose to decline.

I wanted to apply in a university myself rather than pull some strings. I was already thankful for their help during my graduate schooling. It was already a very big help for me.

I stood up and held the curtains that was trapping the sunlight from getting inside the room. I pushed them to the sides as I looked outside the window to the streets of Seoul.

Luck was on my side that the room had a big window enough to have an over view of the bright city. The view from here is very calming yet feels nostalgic. How many years has it been since I was last here?

Two years? Yeah, two years after I left to continue my studies overseas and just returned home. I want to visit some old friends but I lost contact to them. I wonder how to contact them, but I will do my best to look for them.

I never intended to leave two years ago but it was the opportunity knocking on my door. It was a very big opportunity for me, so I accepted it. I am the type of person who doesn't really what to rely on my parents.

I mean, I stand independent as the years go by. Graduate as a scholar from high school to college and even to my masteral. Secured a job without pulling some strings and only used my knowledge and skills. That's what I am.

I closed the window again and decided to go around the area first and stroll around before I look for a possible part time job tomorrow. Just for a part time job because I went home in an uncertain time frame.

School's time frame in Seoul is different from Australia, I just graduated my graduate school in there last month and the classes havr just ended but not yet in Seoul. They are still in the middle of the semester.

It will be very impractical for the university to hire me and teach in the middle of the semester. Aside from the loads have already been decided, all the subjects programmed will be a mess if I suddenly pop out from nowhere, plus another adjustment for the students.

I put on a nice blue sweater before going out of the apartment. I just realized how I missed my homeland after a few years of staying at Australia. You would never know that you had missed something unless you came to see it again.

I went to a nearby park where I came across some high school students having fun. Then it hit me that it was probably just the end of the classes for this day. Looking at them made me missed my old friends that I don't know where they are now.

I should have brought my car that was sent by my father when he learned that I am back from Australia. He just called me about my location and after thirty minutes, someone had already brought my car to the apartment. It was his gift when I turned eighteen and I had used it since then.

But I don't want to miss the sceneries so I insisted on walking around instead of riding my car for now. I could have returned home but I want to be as independent as possible and I still have to search for my friends.