Ch.13: What Happened To Frederick

It was a beautiful day, as Katherine arrived at the diner, just as the stranger was leaving.

"I've been meaning to bump into you. Matter of fact, I was hoping we might grab that drink I promised," he told her.

"Are you asking me out?" she inquired. She didn't trust strangers much and she didn't feel that she was available, considering she still loved both Elijah and Damon, even if they weren't in town.

"Well, if putting a label on it makes you more comfortable, sure. Let's call it a date," he replied.

"I thought you came here to write—find inspiration."

"I'm optimistic about our date."

"See, I have a policy—I won't go out with guys who won't tell me their names. I like honesty these days, and you seem to be keeping a lot of secrets, or one big one. It was nice talking to you."

She walked past him to enter the diner, when he spoke, which stopped her.

"It's August. August W. Booth."

She turned to look at him. "Well, at least we're getting some honesty."

"So, there goes your reason for not meeting me here after work," he replied.

She walked inside and Mary Margaret questioned her, having been waiting for her there.

"Who was that?"

"I don't know yet," she replied, not wanting to tell her anything until after she knew more than his name.

"Yet? You're going to find out?"

"It's nothing," she said.

"Nothing with you means something. Because if it was nothing, we wouldn't be talking about it."

"I'm sorry—I thought you called me here to talk about you?"

"Yeah, but talking about you is easier right now."

"What is it? What's going on?"

"Remember when we agreed I should stay away from David? I didn't."

"Yeah, I know," she replied.

"You do? How?"

"Because I'm sheriff, and you are a lovesick school teacher. Covering your tracks isn't exactly your strong suit."

"Well, I've been discrete."

"Two teacups in the sink, new perfume, late nights, plunging necklines. It was not hard to connect the dots."

"Plunging?"

"When I met you, you were a top button kind of girl."

"Why didn't you say anything?"

"I'm not your mother," she replied. She didn't want to add in that she had been a mother herself before, though. Not when she didn't remember that she was Snow White.

"No," she agreed.

"I just figured that you would let me know when it was time. I'm assuming it's time," Katherine replied.

Meanwhile, August had Henry's book in a dark room with its pages out. He was treating them and some where hanging on a clothes line so they could dry. Part of the book had already been rebound and August now was rebinding some more pages into the book with string.