Ch.29: Child of the Moon

Since Katherine was still somewhere nobody knew where, possibly in the enchanted forest where most of them had come from, Charming was filling in as sheriff, so Charming was the one that answered the call that something had happened down in the mines.

When Charming, Henry, and the Blue Fairy got there, there was a hole in the caves that had a whole bunch of sparkling fairy dust on the ceiling of the cave that LeRoy had opened up with his axe.

"Oh my gosh. Diamonds. They're back. Magic brought them back," the Blue Fairy said.

"You mean the kind that become fairy dust," Henry said.

"Indeed. We just need to refine them. Grind them up," she replied. She then looked at Charming. "Do you still have the remains of Jefferson's hat?"

Charming took it out of his backpack he had on.

She took it and told him, "Lock this up. Keep it safe. By this time tomorrow, we'll have enough fairy dust to make it work again."

"So, Katherine," Henry said.

Charming put a hand on his shoulder.

"That's right, kid. We're bringing her home."

Charming gave a smile at that.

After leaving the mines, the dwarfs and the Blue Fairy had a drink together at Granny's Diner to celebrate, knowing that as long as nothing went wrong, Katherine would be coming home tomorrow.

Ruby was collecting some dishes from a booth, when someone she'd met before said, "A mouse."

"What? Where?" she questioned, looking for one.

He approached to stand in front of her.

"I meant me. I was a mouse. My name is Gus. I lived in Cinderella's pantry. I ate cheese. I gnawed on wood. But I preferred the cheese."

"Why are you telling me this?" Ruby wanted to know.

"We haven't had a chance to talk since things changed. I just wanted you to know who I was back home."

"Can I still call you Billy?" Ruby asked him.

"You can call me whatever you want, as long as you let me buy you a drink after your shift. I only know Ruby. I want to have a chance to meet Red."

"Um, tonight's actually not great, because, I, uh—," Ruby started, about to say why, but then Belle saved her from having to make something up on her own, by coming over and standing by Ruby.

"We, uh, have plans," Belle told him.

"That's right. It's girl's night," Ruby said, playing along. "I'm bringing the cheese. Which has nothing to do with you being a mouse. It has to do with the wine."

"Okay. Maybe, uh, next time," he replied, and left out the back.

She looked at Belle.

"Thank you."

"I can spot a girl in trouble," Belle replied. "He seems really nice."

Ruby looked at the clock for a bit and then at Belle again.

"It's complicated," she replied, before walking away.

Henry was at a booth, having a mug of something, when Charming came over with a glass of alcohol. Seeing it, he questioned Henry.