Ch.28: Tallahassee

Hook and Katherine stood not far from the bean stalk.

"Well, the compass awaits," he said. "Shall we?"

He began walking towards it, ready for the climb.

She followed.

"Let me ask you something. If magic beans make portals, why not go get one and go home?"

"Because there aren't anymore beans. The giants grew all the beans, but instead of using them for good, they used them to plunder all the lands. Jack fought a terrible war, defeating all but one of the evil giants. The beans were destroyed by the giants so if they died, if they couldn't have the magic, then no one could. Very bad form," he informed her.

"So, evil giants made magical portal beans. If the giants are dead, why doesn't anyone go up and grow some more?"

"Because one giant survived. The most evil and terrible of them all. We have to get past him to get the magic compass. The treasure remains, and amongst it is the compass. It will guide us to your land. Cora has the means to open a portal with the wardrobe ashes, but she can't find your land without the compass. We get it, steal the ashes from her, and we're on our way," he replied.

"There's got to be a catch in there somewhere. What's the catch?"

"I failed to mention that the giants enchanted the bean stalk to repel intruders, but I've got a couple of these." He held up his arm to show her something black enchanted around his wrist. "Cora was to accompany me, but since you're safer company, let's get to it."

She stood in front of him.

"Let's just get this over with," she said.

"Put your hand right there," he instructed.

She put her hand on his shoulder, so he could put the extra one around her wrist.

"That's a good girl. This will allow you to climb, but there are other dangers."

She put her hand down, once it was around her wrist.

"Don't think I'm taking my eyes off you for a second."

"I would despair if you did," he replied.

"Let's go," she said.

They began to climb.

After a while, he began to talk, as they climbed.

"First bean stalk? You never forget your first." She didn't say anything, so he added, "You know, most men would put your silence as off putting, but I love a challenge."

"I'm concentrating," she simply said.

"No, you're afraid. Afraid to talk. To reveal yourself. To trust me. Things will be a lot smoother if you do."

"Why should I? Besides, trust is putting it mildly when it comes to you."

"Ah, the pirate thing. But I don't need you to share. You're something of an open book," he replied.

"Am I?" she inquired, wondering how he'd know things about her, when she hadn't really shared anything about herself. They didn't even know each other very well or at all.

"Quite. You're the most motivated. You have someone to get home to. You don't want to abandon that someone the way you were abandoned."