Ch. 45: Lost Girl

It was a nebulous night on the island, as Rumple stood by some wood that was stacked up and brought out a fireball. He then threw it at the wood, and it made a campfire. He then released his own shadow with the dagger and held it out to his shadow.

"You know what to do. Hid it where no one can find it. Not even me."

His shadow took it and flew off.

Meanwhile, the others were on the island, Charming cutting through the bushes to make a pathway, as they walked, being in the lead. Hook was behind Charming, while Regina was behind him and Katherine behind Regina, with Snow being at the end.

"The ridge is just a few hundred paces up ahead," Hook informed them all.

"You really think we're gonna be able to see Pan's hideout?" Katherine questioned.

"From there, we should be able to see everything. Including where he's keeping Henry."

"You know, I could have just poofed us up here in an instant," Regina reminded him.

"Where? Have you any ideas what's up here? Or anywhere? There are dangers all about. Only I can guide us past them."

"He's right. Hook's lived here before," Katherine agreed, not doubting him. "If he says hiking up is the best way, then we listen."

"Here. You need to stay hydrated," Snow said to Katherine, offering her a canteen of water.

"Thanks," Katherine said, and stopped and took a drink from it. Then she started walking again, this time ahead of Snow.

They got to a small clearing and when Hook recognized the thorns, he grabbed Charming's wrist, stopping him, as he told him no.

Charming looked at him.

"I can handle a couple of thorns."

"That's dreamshade," Hook informed him. "It's not the thorns you have to worry about. It's the poison they inject you with. The plant is the source of the toxins I used on The Dark One."

"The poison that almost killed Gold?"

Hook looked at Katherine when she asked that and then back at the thorns.

"Indeed. I used a concentrated dose. In its natural form, death would be much slower and far more painful. I suggest we go this way."

Hook was about to go to his right, but Charming began to go to his left, not trusting him, as he said, "We'll go this way."

Everyone followed Charming, but Katherine stayed behind with Hook.

"He's a distrustful fellow," Hook stated.

"He's just not used to working with the bad guys," Katherine replied.

"I assure you, on this island, I'm not the bad guy."

"Yeah, well, Pan's not supposed to be one either," she said, and began to go the way Charming and the others had.

"What possibly gave you that idea?" Hook wanted to know, as he followed her.

"Every story I ever heard as a child."

"Well, they got it wrong. Pan's the most treacherous villain I've ever faced. Listen, tell me something, luv, in these stories, what was I like? Other than a villain. Handsome, I gather?" He ended with a smile.