Chapter 4

You reached the place that your sister was holding her birthday party at and instantly felt like a parasite that didn't fit in that environment. The mansion in front of you was as huge and beautiful as you remembered it even though it had been around five years that you hadn't stepped in this place. The workers seemed to not have changed either but most importantly, the angry expression on your sister's face waiting for you at the doorstep didn't seem much different from the last time you had met her.

"Before you say anything...Happy birthdayyyy. I wish you a life full of happiness and smiles." You opened your arms widely as you tried to sound cheerful while saying these words however her facial expression didn't change as she stepped closer towards you.

"Forty minutes. You are late."BreeAhn exclaimed before she extended her arm and grabbed the bag you were holding which she assumed that was her gift because of the bow that was decorating it.

"It had traffic...I apologize."You told her as you closed your arms awkwardly, pretending like she didn't just let your embrace hanging.

"Is this a book?" She questioned as she took a peek inside the bag and you smiled instantly before nodding happily and proudly of your gift.

"Yes, It's the last book of your favorite series that you used to love. I remembered how sad you were that you couldn't find the last one anywhere so I so happened to come across this limit edition."You spoke, awaiting for her face to lit up the way it used to do when she was younger and this book was mentioned but to your disappointment that didn't happen.

"That was five years ago Y/N. I don't even read books anymore." BreeAhn responded and left the bag fall to the floor which had you shocked for a moment and made you immediately kneel down and picked it up. You had really went through many things to get this and you definitely felt hurt by the rejection of it but you smiled either way and apologized to her for bringing her a gift that wasn't of her taste.

"Forget about it. At least this year you actually came to my birthday as you promised. That's a miracle on its own." She grabbed your arm and pulled you inside, smiling a bit at you this time, thing that made you feel the need of running away growing inside you.

There was a reason you hadn't attended the parties of the previous years after all and even though five years had passed, somehow you still didn't feel completely ready to be at their presence.

"Dad~ Come see who is here~" She called once you had reached at the room that the event was being held and your eyes scanned the place quickly that was full of well-dressed people whom you didn't know personally.

"Just where did he go?"

"It's okay, ehmm, I don't think I have a lot of time to stay. I just wanted to see you for a bit and wish you, That's all."You took your arm out of her hold as you gave her a quick excuse, panicking at that moment at the thought of your father standing before you.

"What? But you just came. Can't you stay a bit more? It's  my birthday." Your sister looked at you with a sad expression that made you feel bad of your action but even though you had a dilemma at that instant, it disappeared once your eyes caught a glimpse of your father's figure at a distance.

"I am sorry. I am so sorry Bree. I can't, some other time, I promise." You told her as you started taking steps backwards, your eyes returned back to the direction where you had seen him and locking eyes with him, thing that made you turn around instantly and just rush out of that place.

Your breathing had grown a bit rapid as walked away and your mind had gotten filled with unwanted memories of the past that made your chest start aching at that moment.