A world without Color

Chapter Six : A world without Color

I walked down the halls. It felt like the word all around me was in slow motion. I was at war with myself. Everything I pushed away as a child ran around my head. If I could reach the fireflies, but I was that coordinated. If I could save Allison and Aiden, but I didn't know how soon or far their deaths were. "Cait. Hey....." I could hear Kira from my left side but I kept walking.

My arms felt weak as I walked out the school. I didn't even bother with a car, just let my feet guide me. I was headed to the hospital. My mind went blank as a vision passed over it. I truly couldn't tell if it was a vision or a memory.

"ALLISON!" I watched as Allison's body got impaled with a sword the oni around everyone fleeing. Allison's body fell into Scott's arms. Her breaths became shorter and her words choppy. Scott was crying and her arm went limp hitting the ground with an indescribable noise.

I opened my eyes. I was still on the sidewalk, making my way into the heart of town. My arms tightened around the few books that wouldn't fit in my bag. I rounded the corner stopping at a 7/11. I paid for a soda and kept walking the world around me seemingly losing all color.

My breath became abnormal as I wrapped my hand around the cold handle labeled pull. My feet hit the floor but didn't make a sound. I stumbled to the back of the north wing, netting a room labeled, MRI.

Stiles sat on the MRI in a blue gown with a pair of grey sweat pants. His father was leaning on a wall in the corner, but they were the only people in the room. "Caity are you okay?" Stiles asked me as I shifted my gase back to him.

"Yeah. Why would you think I wasn't?"

"It's just, you have tear stains." I removed one of my hands from around my books bringing it over my right eyes. I hadn't even noticed the water that had fallen on my face, but nonetheless I brushed it away, taking a few steps into the room.

I heard three sets of footsteps behind me as I walked closer to Stiles. Scott Melissa and a doctor walked into the room. Scott joined Stiles and me at the edge of the MRI. "Stiles." All three of us looked up when the doctor spoke, "Just to warn you, you're going to hear a lot of noise during the MRI. It's due to pulses of electricity going through the metal coils inside the machine. Uh, if you want we can get you earplugs or headphones."

"No. No, I don't need anything." Stiles said in the same tone that the day went by. No emotion, no color, no care.

"Hey," The sheriff spoke, "We're just on the other side of that window. Okay?"

"Okay." Stiles told his father, sadness now slipping into his voice. All adults left the room leaving Stiles Scott and me alone. I started to play with the hem of my jacket, not wanting to look into anyone's eyes. "You two know what they're looking for. Right?" Stiles asked, causing me to look up. "It's called frontotemporal dementia. Areas of your brain start to shrink. It's what my mom had. It's the only form of dementia that can hit teenagers. And there's no cure." Stiles finished. This time I felt the water slip down my face.