Rain On His Parade

Chapter Two : Rain on his Parade

The rain froze my skin as I climbed out the back of the jeep dragging 16 year old Derek Hale behind me. Lydia was waiting by the door of the animal clinic asn Scott helped me get the young Hale inside.

Stiles and Lydia slide everything from the table of the back room as Scott and me lowered Derek onto it. I could hear the items hit the floor, but it still sounded like rain was in my ears. Rain, Chloe screaming for Malia. But oddly I could also hear the flame on my hand cracking in the quite of the desert.

I was only half focused on the problem in front of me. Till Deaton exhaled, "Wow."

"Wow?" Stiles repeats, "Wow as in, 'I've seen this before and I know exactly what to do.' kinda of wow? 'Cause that's the kind of wow we were hoping for."

"I think you might be overestimating my abilities."

Lydia grabs Derek's left hand, "He's cold. Really cold."

"Like hypothermic?" I asked, placing the back of my hand to Derek's forehead. Deaton starts to take Derek's pulse and all normal medical checks.

"Do you think this is permanent?" Scott's brown eyes shifting up and down the Hale.

Deaton flashed on a light bringing over Derek's eyes, "I'm not sure a medical diagnosis is even adequate." He turned the light off, "this is well beyond my experience."

"Okay, so what do we do?" I asked, removing my hand.

"Until he wakes up? Probably not much. It might be best to leave him with me. He'll be safe here."

"You mean from Kate." Stiles paused turning to me, "Kate Argent. Got this is gonna be a pain in the ass." He whispered the last part but I think everyone still heard him.

Deaton supressed a smile, "If she's alive and she is what you say she is, she won't be able to walk past that gate."

"Why would she want to do this to him?" Lydia asked, her voice calmer than normal.

"Knowing Kate, it's probably for a reason that won't be any good for anyone other than herself."

"So bad for everyone else?" Stiles jokes.

"More or less." I inform the Stilinski boy.

Deaton sighed, "You guys should probably go home. He doesn't look to be in any danger. So maybe the rest of you should get some sleep? It's a school night.... You all need to start taking care of your own lives again."

"Someone should stay with you." Scott said, looking up from the floor.

"I'll stay." Lydia spoke with a sadness, "My grades are fine... Despite missing a few classes."

"I'm so not okay with this."

I raise my left pointer finger in the air, "I second Stiles."

Lydia rolls her head to me, "Guys go."