✖︎ The rat chase ✖︎

Chaehyun likes to think of himself as pretty fearless. He takes pride in the fact that most things don't particularly scare him that much, it feeds into his abnormally large ego.

Of course, there are things that he's scared of but there is nothing that strikes fear more than a rodent - a rat to be precise. They absolutely terrify the life out of him and they have ever since he was a little kid. What started the phobia is what he doesn't know but he doesn't care enough to find out. He's afraid of them and that's that.

So, when he woke up to Jungwoo jumping on top of his body whilst screaming in the dead of the morning he was both confused and concerned. Jungwoo clung to him like a koala, head pressed into the side of Chaehyun's neck whilst screaming. Pressing a hand against Jungwoo's back, Chaehyun squeezed his eyes shut and then opened them again to wake himself up.

"You better have a good reason for this," Chaehyun mumbled, voice hoarse and croaky from only just waking up.

Mark sat up in his bed from the scream and reached over to turn on the lamp beside his bed, staring at the pair in confusion. Chaehyun patted Jungwoo's back in an attempt to calm down the fast heart rate that Chaehyun could feel pounding against his own chest.

"What just happened?" Mark questioned, glancing from the door to Jungwoo.

"T-Taeyong hyung to-told me not to tell but there was- there was a rat in the kitchen!"

The rest of the boys could be heard groaning loudly after hearing Jungwoo's confession to the two. Mark looked over at Chaehyun who had frozen in his spot, eyes glued to the ceiling and filled with terror. Mark cringed at the sudden silence.

Kim Chaehyun's silence is never a good thing.

As expected, moments later, a high pitched scream pierced through the dorm startling everyone.

"Jungwoo why would you tell him that?!" Jaehyun called from the kitchen.

"I PANICKED! HE'S MY COMFORT BLANKET WHEN IM SCARED!" Jungwoo called back.

Chaehyun would've made a comment about that if he wasn't so scared of the lurking devil. Chaehyun pushed Jungwoo off of him and stood up on his bed, reaching over to grab his suitcase which was still filled with clothes from tour - yes, he's too lazy to unpack.

"Where are you going?" Mark questioned urgently whilst Chaehyun struggled to grab his extra things whilst staying on the bed, refusing to touch the floor in case the rat happened to run into the room.

"I am going to my grans and I am staying there until you get rid of the rat," he answered casually.

"Jungwoo is already sitting next to it," Haechan joked as he entered the room only to scream as a pair of underwear was thrown in his direction.

"Chae, your gran is sleeping right now," Taeyong told him with a sigh, also entering the bedroom whilst the others searched around for the rodent.

"Well, I'll go and sleep with Lucas then but I am not staying here."

Taeyong only shook his head before leaving to call for help because in all honesty, what were they meant to do even if they did catch the rat? They had no idea how to dispose of one, especially since they have no idea where it has been before getting into the dorm. It could carry anything with it and he was not going to allow any of his members to touch it.

Chaehyun jumped off of the bed and sped into the bathroom, jumping on top of the toilet seat and then opened the cupboard to grab his extra tube of toothpaste only for the rat to jump out and scurry frantically out of the door which he had fortunately left open. Chaehyun stared at the floor with wide eyes, completely frozen in his place.

The toothbrush that he had grabbed slipped out of his hand and dropped to the floor whilst his eyes welled up from pure shock.

"HOW DID IT GET IN THERE?!" He suddenly snapped back into reality.

"It's a rat, Chaehyun, it has its ways," Doyoung responded, voice quivering slightly.

Chaehyun refused to move from the toilet seat, reaching over to slam the door shut so that he was alone in the bathroom where the rat couldn't get to him. He sat down cross-legged on the toilet seat, pressing his palm against his cheek and listened to the many yells from his members as they tried to safely catch the rat.

Eventually, after no luck, Chaehyun called their manager.

"Chaehyun, I have told you a thousand times to stop calling Haechan a rat-" his manager began sleepily.

"I'm not talking about Haechan this time, there's actually a rat."

"Why can't you catch it? You're usually the one who does this stuff," their manager groaned but there was shuffling which meant he was getting up.

"I've locked myself in the bathroom, I am not going anywhere near that thing," Chaehyun responded in disgust.

Their manager sighed through the phone. "I'm on my way-"

"Okay, love you bye!" Chaehyun hung up the phone and stood up. He climbed into the bath and curled up into a ball, it wasn't comfortable in the slightest but he managed to drift off to sleep in the bath.

He didn't know how much time had passed when he woke up to the door being pushed open to reveal Johnny.

"Seriously? Dude you slept in the bath whilst we went through all of that?"

"I have done a lot for you guys when it comes to your fears so consider this payback."

Chaehyun pushed himself up out of the bath and stretched out his body. The boys were all able to relax now that there was no rat and Chaehyun let out a deep breath, falling face-first on his bed.

"Rat hunting is really exhausting."

Chaehyun was a giggling mess when Mark threw a pillow at him for trying to make it seem like he had done so much to help when all he did was fall asleep in a bathtub.

"I hate you sometimes, I really do."

"You couldn't live without me though, Marky Poo."

"Sadly that's true."

Chaehyun smiled at him before rolling over to get himself comfortable in the bed. It was 4 am now and they all had a lot of rest to catch up on.

________________________

i will shamelessly admit that i am chae in this situation, i am absolutely petrified of rats like i was cringing just writing about them. 

thank you so much for reading, this wasn't proofread but i hope you enjoyed anyway. 

you are greatly appreciated 💚

— blue x