Sonic X Racer!Reader - @_A_Proud_Fangirl_

It was a bright, sunny day. Clouds speckled the blue sky, moving lazily away from the small house in the hill. Birds were zipping between the few trees that surrounded the lone house, singing their soulsongs and playing in the cool breeze that rustled the trees. All was peaceful around the building; all was quiet and calm.

A (f/c) (a/t) was currently at work in her workshop, tinkering away at her most recent project. She was in such a deep focus that the world around her had disappeared. If anyone walked into her little workshop, they could take anything, and she wouldn't be none the wiser until she was done. Her (e/c) eyes moved over her invention, her tongue stuck out in concentration.

As she was working, her phone went off. The (a/t) didn't respond, but a robotic arm did. It moved over the table and to the phone, answering the call for her. Speaker activated immediately, but she didn't react to the male's voice that spoke.

"Hey (Y/N)." It was none other than Sonic the Hedgehog, "How's the project going? You think you'll have it ready by this afternoon?"

"Mhm..." She mumbled, and the robotic arm moved the phone closer to her. A chuckle came from the phone and her ear twitched, finally raising her eyes. She blinked, before picking the phone up, "Sonic? Why are you calling me?"

"Ah, I caught you in robot mode then." Sonic said, a knowing tone to his voice, "Sorry for bothering you."

"No no it's fine." The (a/t) said, dropping the tool she held in her hand in embarrassment. There was a clatter and she jumped, reaching down and picking it up again, Sonic chuckled at the sound, "What's up?"

"Was just wondering if you'd be ready to race this afternoon." The hedgehog said, he sounded keen, the (a/t)'s ears perked in interest, "I've got nothing planned today, so I figured we could race again."

(Y/N)'s cheeks turned a light pink at the mention of racing and she leant on the bench, "You're that keen to race me huh?"

"Hell yeah." The hedgehog said, "You're like, the most fun to race. Shadow's too moody and no one else will race me. I know you've been working on another speedy invention, so I was wondering if you'd wanna test it out today."

The (a/t) smiled warmly, placing the tool down and leaning on the bench. A sort of happiness came from hearing Sonic say those words. She was the most fun to race. And him acknowledging what she was working on... The girl had a major crush on the blue hero and hearing him sound so excited made her extremely fluttery.

"Yeah, I think I'll have it ready. What time were you thinking?" She asked, doing her best to keep her tone calm.

"Probably just before sunset." Sonic said, "Is that enough time for you?"

"You bet. I'll see you then." She then hung up, placing the phone down. The (a/t) let out a dreamy sigh, facing the bench and staring down at her newest creation.

She loved racing Sonic, it was something the two really connected with. She would make some sort of contraption to help her move quickly, and Sonic would help her test it out with racing. Every time he'd win, but the (a/t) would learn more and more with each race. This device she was working on was going to be different. She could feel it in her bones.

(Y/N) smiled, rubbing her cheek self-consciously as she realised she was daydreaming already. Winning against Sonic would be the best thing in the world, finally besting the hero at the thing he was greatest at. And mechanically at that.

She then turned her attention to the rest of the workshop, looking at all her failed attempts. A hoverboard that had no power, it floated but wouldn't move without being pushed. A bike that had been inspired from Big Hero Six, it was a flop as well. She had invented a jetpack that had nearly done the trick but blew up just before the end of a race. The (a/t) had even made a go kart, but that also ran out of fuel, and adding a larger fuel tank would slow the contraption down.