036; the biggest mystery

third person.

"hi so," cara said as soon as she walked into the doom room she shared with mollie, a small box of pizza in her hand before she sat at the end of mollie's bed, "you haven't left bed all day so do you want to share some pizza with me?"

"i also got some more of that pasta we had a couple months ago," cara continued, "my mom made a ton of it over christmas and i thought if you had a day where you didn't eat anything, the pasta would come in handy."

"but anyway back to the pizza, do you want a slice or two?" cara asked, looking up at mollie as she nodded subtly, "you don't have to eat the entire two slices, even two bites is completely fine, just as long as you've had something so nicole doesn't freak out."

as mollie continued to nod, she eventually sat herself up and put the hood of her hoodie over her head, being handed the two slices on a paper plate by cara as she gave her a comforting smile.

"i'm sorry about what happened," cara sighed, "it's weird knowing that you two were so right for each other yet somehow something went wrong."

"it's fine," mollie shrugged, "max said it happens to the best of us."

"ya know, the first time i went through heartbreak is absolutely sucked," cara explained, "but the guy did cheat on me with jade and-"

"and you continued to be friends with her?"

"yeah.." she frowned, "manipulation at its finest. but back to my point, heartbreak sucks but it does make you a much stronger person, my dad said that."

"and did it?" she looked up at cara.

"i guess so." cara slowly nodded, "i'm much more confident now, but anyway are you going to eat your pizza?"

"uh," mollie looked down at it, immediately shaking her head and moving the plate to one side before cara frowned, "i'll pass."

"alright," she sighed, "are you coming to the new year party tomorrow?"

"do you want me to?"

"yes." she smiled, "very much, i would have no one else to celebrate the new year with."

"i'll come," she nodded, "it would give me something to do."

"exactly, it'll be like a distraction," cara agreed, "all of the group are coming and we wouldn't be a complete friend group without you there so i told them i'd ask if you wanted to come."

"okay."

"you can vent if you need to," she offered to mollie, "i can tell you're holding it all in."

mollie soon shrugged, fiddling with the bracelet on her wrist before her hands fell into her lap, "love is so difficult."

"it sucks."

"it's weird how you can love someone so much and they can just switch at any second," mollie explained, "you can trust a person with the world and they can do anything with it, i just find love so weird and crazy."

"it's insane how you can give so much of yourself to someone and they can take it all away," cara agreed as mollie's eyes widened and she nodded.

"like now i know love is a real thing but i didn't realise how risky it is?" she furrowed her eyebrows as cara looked at her, "love is like giving all of your heart to someone when you have no idea of their true intentions, i hate it."

"and you create a routine with it and once the love goes you just feel so lost," she continued as she shrugged, "i've never felt so lost before."

"and so many people criticise who you are with."

"exactly," mollie sighed, "the amount of people who'd come up to me and be like why him? i never knew how to answer that."

"like it's a great question," she rambled on as cara sat there and listened, "but i really don't know, he frustrates me so much and he makes me question everything but i swear no one has ever got to me like he did, he's the biggest mystery i've ever come across."

"mollie," cara spoke up as the girl went quiet, "you just answered that question."

"no i didn't..? i was saying how i can't answer it."

"no, no." she shook her head and laughed, "you answered it."

"you know how you mentioned when we first met that corbyn was a player when you met him a year ago?" cara asked, receiving a nod from mollie, "and your plan was to ghost him and break his heart?"

"yeah, didn't go so well for me."

"i just- this is going to sound very weird," cara laughed slightly, "but my dad always told me that the best love is always unexpected. like you never thought you'd love him right?"

"never," she shook her head, "literally anyone but him."

"i just think sometimes you meet someone and it's so clear that the two of you work," cara explained, "and everyone can see that it works somehow, even if it seems like it won't. i really think you and him are those two people."

"we don't work."

"no, no you do." she nodded, "somewhere along your relationship one of you or both of you went wrong and that had a chain reaction, which turned it into a toxic mess."

"would you get back with him if he asked?" cara asked the girl as she froze for a moment.

"i- i don't... i can't answer that." mollie frowned, "i mean, probably not."

"oh."

"but i don't know." she shrugged, "it depends what happens."

"i think you two are meant to have that bond," cara shrugged and gave her a small smile, "but anyway, i'm going to go and shower."

mollie gave cara a nod before a small sigh escaped her lips, glancing over at the small picture frame she still had of her and corbyn before placing it face down on the table beside the bed.

the girl knew that corbyn had regretted it yet she didn't want to tell anyone that. she knew that when she had saw him standing outside of her front door the night before she left for new york, he had the same concerned expression on his face that he'd always have when mollie was struggling with her health.

of course she felt more than bad, and already convinced herself that it was entirely her fault for deciding to go to new york, telling herself long distance got in the way. no matter how many people told her it was corbyn's fault, she didn't want to make him look like the villain like he was always labelled as, because she knew it hurt him.

and she knew he never took confrontation well, like the time jonah had tried to or the time michael had tried to. confrontation wasn't his strong point, and that maybe confronting him at the party was a bad move on the girl's part, because she knew he'd snap.

yet she wasn't sure of how to fix it.

a/n

do we want the new year celebration focused on corbyn or mollie? :)