016; her over me

third person.

"hey," cara said as she walked up to mollie with jade following behind her, who was sat in the middle of the college library with one earphone in, "i've been wondering where you were."

"i've been here," mollie replied, shrugging slightly.

"i need to tell you about this guy," cara smiled and sat down beside her, "he's the sweetest and so patient, he asked me if i wanted to go for a picnic next week and i said yes, but let me tell you he- you don't look so interested."

"i'm listening," she reassured the girl.

"that wasn't what i meant," cara sighed, "have you eaten today?"

"what kind of question is that?" jade furrowed her eyebrows, "everyone eats, cara."

"jade," she looked over at her, "didn't you want to get a drink from that vending machine?"

"yes i just wanted to see where you were going." jade shrugged, looking back at mollie, "why are you so sad?"

"what's it to you?" mollie replied, looking back down at her phone as jade rolled her eyes.

"you're kidding," she folded her arms, "you're one of those girls?"

"jade seriously stop." cara looked at her, "just stop."

"i'm not going to let some girl think she's the shit," jade defended herself, gesturing towards mollie before watching her quickly grab her bag and stand up.

"i never said i thought that." mollie argued, looking over at jade as cara got up out of her seat and folded her arms, "i don't want to tell someone i don't know how i'm feeling, not everyone is going to trust you."

"so asking how you are is just a bitchy statement now?" jade asked her, shrugging slightly.

"i said i don't trust you, i didn't said you're a bitch."

"ok anyway jade and i are going to-"

"right now you're kind of acting like a bitch," jade tilted her head as she interrupted cara, "you think you're little miss popular don't you?"

"what gave you that impression?" mollie replied, a sarcastic tone in her voice, "was it the people all crowded round me at the table?"

"comedian too huh?"

"or just you not having any common sense." mollie rolled her eyes, shoving her phone into the pocket of her jacket as jade raised her eyebrows.

"really we should go," cara told mollie, gently judging jade towards the doors of the library, "i'll just see you later and we can talk then, mollie."

"no i'm not finished," jade told the girl, pushing her away from him, "i just asked a simple question and you took it out of hand. are you scared i'm going to hurt you or something because no one is here to protect you? that's sad."

rolling her eyes at the statement just said, it didn't take long before mollie had tried to go for the girl, only just before one of her hands did meet jade's face, cara held her arm out in front of her and pushed her back with a panicked expression on her face.

"go to your dance class, we can talk after." cara told mollie, a soft tone in her voice as she watched the girl storm out of the library before moving her hand back down.

"you defended her?" jade asked cara, "aren't i supposed to be your best friend?"

"and you are." cara replied, heading out the opposite exit to the library with jade by her side, "but once you bring up someone's eating habits, it gets personal."

"why'd you ask her if she ate today? it seemed-"

"because she struggles with it." cara interrupted her, stopping to turn and face her, "you didn't even give a chance when you met her the other day, you noticed she wasn't talkative and took advantage of it."

"i didn't take advantage of it," jade shook her head, "she didn't need to snap at me just now."

"she had a bad day, if that wasn't obvious enough."

"so you're defending her even though she almost punched me?" jade asked the girl, who paused before glancing away from her, "her over me?"

"she had her reasons jade," cara shrugged, "you don't understand her so you don't need to comment on stuff."

"so once again, her over me?"

"yes, jade." cara quickly said before nodding, "mollie is helpful, i like having her around."

"i help," jade frowned, "i tell you to humble yourself."

"and she tells me it's good that i'm confident." cara explained as jade shook her head, "she asks if i eat, she gives me advice for my projects whereas all you care about is what guy i'm talking to."

"cara," she sighed, "defending her by lying about who she is doesn't make this any better."

"mollie isn't a mean person," cara mumbled, "she's not a bitch, like you think she is."

"so you'd prefer being her friend over mine?"

"it's not a competition." she furrowed her eyebrows, "didn't i just defend you by stopping her? you could've gotten hurt."

"i can defend myself, you didn't need to defend me."

"you just got jealous over who i defended?" cara looked at her confused, "i'm sorry jade, but she had a reason to argue back. i'm sure punching wasn't the best option but that's just how she is."

"so you're being sympathetic because she has eating problems?" jade raised one eyebrow, "just because she doesn't eat, she needs me to feel sorry for her?"

"if mollie wanted sympathy, she'd try get it." cara folded her arms, "she didn't mention it until i bought it up and asked, like the rest of the stuff i know about her."

"like what?"

"i'm not saying," the girl shook her head, continuing her walk out of the library as jade followed behind, "it's not your place to know."

"i'm your best friend-"

"i can't tell you."

"it's not going to kill you if you say something," jade shrugged.

"why are you interested?" cara asked the girl, "its not my place to tell anyone, let it go."

"then why don't you just go be her best friend." jade shrugged and stopped in her tracks, "go find a new group of friends, i'll keep our group."

"what?" she furrowed her eyebrows, "you're that petty over a few conversations?"

"she gives me bad vibes," jade gestured towards the door mollie had previously walked out of, "she has that negative energy, i hate it."

"alright," cara nodded.

"so?"

the girl shrugged, quickly glancing down at her phone screen, "have fun with the group."

"you're siding with mollie?"

"yup." she nodded before walking out of the door, letting out a sigh as she did so.

a/n

mollie recently has just been a mess :((

also take note of the guy cara is talking to it's important for a special bonding moment a few chapters later