004; i love stargazing

third person.

for the first half of the girl's first class in her college, everything seemed to be working out for her. no one had tried to communicate with her and the only person sitting beside her had his earphones in, completely blocking out his surroundings, which made the girl feel a little less worried about the whole idea of trying to fit in.

a project had already been set for the class and in less than twenty minutes everyone had got to work with it, mostly filling the classroom with silence apart from the few moments of small talk between other students, but seeing as the topic of the project was for mental illness, a lot of the students already had an idea of what they were going to do for it.

"you'd think i'd be good at this shit if i chose to go to this art school," the boy beside her spoke up, throwing his pencil onto the table before leaning back in his chair and folding his arms.

mollie glanced over at the pencil, choosing not to reply as he let out a huff, grabbing his eraser and beginning to remove all of his work from the sheet of paper.

"it's better to just change the one thing you hate." mollie said, keeping her eyes on her sketchbook as the boy looked at her, "because then you can point out flaws and fix them."

"thanks but i hate the whole thing," he replied as she shrugged and rolled her eyes before he turned back to his work, taking her bit of advice anyway and erasing the few small details he didn't like so much.

"something tells me you aren't from new york." the boy continued.

"something tells me it isn't your business," mollie told him as he narrowed his eyes slightly.

"i'm dylan."

"mollie."

"is this the only class you're doing?" dylan asked.

"with a hint of dance, yes." she nodded.

"no way, same." he smiled slightly, "i love dance, i've gone to lessons since i was six and i haven't missed a single one."

"good for you." mollie mumbled while dylan raised his eyebrows for a second and turned back to his work.

"so, what's your plan for the project?" he asked, trying to keep a steady conversation going before hearing her sigh slightly, "i don't know a lot about mental illnesses but have you got a set idea?"

she shrugged in response, "not sure."

"do you not like to socialise?"

"what gave that away?"

"it's just that you don't seem.." dylan began, noticing the one raised eyebrow before he slowly nodded, "...it was a rhetorical question, ok sorry."

"well, i don't like to socialise either." dylan shrugged, "i'm just talking a lot because my nerves are talking over me and it makes me ramble."

"why are you nervous?" mollie asked, looking at him as he shrugged.

"i just am." he shrugged again, pulling a box of nerds out of his pocket, "want some?"

"uh, no." mollie replied, "thanks though."

"imagine not liking nerds." dylan furrowed his eyebrows before he looked away from her, "what's wrong with nerds?"

"nothing, i just-"

"they're so good." he continued, interrupting her sentence, "literally the only candy i eat besides sweet tarts."

"yeah, they're good." she nodded.

"so why don't you want any?"

"because i just don't?" mollie said, a confused tone in her voice before the class was soon dismissed and she quickly packed up her stuff.

"oh, alright." dylan slowly nodded, grabbing his belongings, "so i'll see you in dance?"

"probably." the girl shrugged, turning away from the boy and leaving the classroom before she rolled her eyes, making her way to her dorm where she was assuming cara would currently be.

and as she arrived at her dorm room, mollie wasted no time in walking in and instantly falling onto her bed as cara turned her head to look at her.

"are you-"

"i'm gonna drop out." she mumbled, interrupting cara's sentence.

"no you are not." cara furrowed her eyebrows, "did something happen in your class?"

"yes."

"what?"

"someone talked to me." she replied, sitting up and grabbing one of corbyn's hoodies that he had let her keep, quickly pulling it over her head, "and i don't want to socialise."

"they couldn't haven't been that bad." cara tilted her head, "what are they like?"

"well he's called dylan and he's in my art and my dance and-"

"oh my god dylan utting?" the girl asked, receiving a small nod from mollie, "oh don't be worried about him, he's talkative when he's nervous but once you get to know him he's.. well he's still talkative but he isn't rude or anything, he's the sweetest guy ever."

"i met him when i was ten and since then we've just been best friends," she continued to explain as mollie sighed, "we were going to say he was gay so we could have a dorm together but we decided not to."

"right.." mollie nodded, grabbing her phone and checking for any missed text messages.

"sorry," she sighed, "i ramble a lot."

"it's fine." mollie shrugged.

"oh my god we could be like a trio," cara raised her eyebrows, a small gasp of excitement escaping her lips, "that will be so fun, do you enjoy parties?"

"uh, no." the girl shook her head, "not a sociable person."

"yeah, i get that." cara slowly nodded, "what do you do instead?"

"i stargaze..?" mollie told her.

"i love stargazing, i have like a set place down the street from here, it's a field but it's so nice to just lay and look at the stars." she explained, a smile on her face as mollie looked up at her.

"i have a place like that but it's in virginia."

"i'll take you to mine." cara suggested, "we can go have like a picnic under the stars or something, you can use my spot whenever you want to."

as mollie nodded, a small sigh of relief was let out as her shoulders dropped slightly, before there was a slight smile growing on her face realising that her and cara seemed to have more in common than she thought, and that maybe the girl didn't hate her after all.

a/n

mollie recently has been v content w living and we love to see it tbh 😌

but that could change