CHAPTER SEVENTY: Be Ready

"Quit being so damn lazy."

I chose to ignore Levi, the person I least wanted to talk to, rolling over and squishing my face further into Hange's stomach, causing her to giggle. I was exhausted from babysitting the orphaned underground children on my own the day before, so Hange's lap was my current refuge.

"Oh, let her be, y'big buzzkill! She's all comfy womfy!" The woman chuckled, giving my head a nice pat as Erwin cleared his throat.
"We have two weeks until we move out to reclaim Wall Maria. From where I stand, preperations seem to be coming along smoothly. I'd like your input. Do we have enough time? Soldiers? Equiptment?"

Nearly wiping the glasses off of Hange's face, I lifted my arm into the air, not bothering to turn around, only uncover my mouth a little.
"I missed out on breakfast the last three days because there are so many new recruits. I think we're good." Levi clicked his tongue from the other end of the sofa, and I flopped my arm back down.
"That's because you sleep in every day, you idiot."

I miss you being somewhat nice to me...

I would have bitten back, but Hange resumed stroking my hair, so I simply let it go.
"Eren's training is going great! We've started taking longer breaks now, so he doesn't overwork himself so close to his big debut!" She explained, and I zoned out on a lot of the following conversation until something important came up.

"-ed to be prepared in case Reiner and Bertholdt are waiting for us." I sat up instantly, my face serious as I turned to the commander.
"Do you really think they'd be there?" That was something I had done my best not to think about, but now there was no avoiding it.

"Nobody can say for sure, but we need to be ready. We all saw how desperate they were to get their hands on Eren, and Historia, too. They won't be holding back next time." Erwin explained, obviously sensing my fears. If they did show up, I needed to be able to fight with a clear mind. There was no room for meltdowns.

"The Beast titan, too. There's no way that thing wasn't human...It spoke..." I had to rub my eyes to rid myself of the final moments of Mike's life, and I flinched when Levi gave me a slight pat on the back.
"We're more than prepared to do this. Right now, all we can do is continue training the cadets, gather our supplies, and put our faith in Eren, and our own abilities." He announced, and I stared at my knees, willing away my nerves.

The meeting ended with simple pleasantries, and I started to make my way out of the building, hoping to maybe catch a quick bite for lunch before the newbies filtered into the mess hall like a swarm of locusts.
"Oi." My whole body flinched head to toe when I heard that voiced, and I slowly turned around, hunched, to find Levi behind me. "A word."

Please don't be about what happened...

Cautiously, I followed him, internally panicking when he opened the door to his quarters. It was absolutely spotless, which was no surprise, with just a bed, dresser and desk. When he closed the door behind me, I cleared my throat.
"So, uh, what's up? Am I in trouble or something..?"

Moving to stand by the bed, Levi motioned for me to take a seat, and I did so without complaint. I didn't exactly want to be chewed out.
"We need to talk about what went down during the storm." He sighed, pulling the chair out from his desk and sitting on it backwards, resting his arms on the back.

Discomfort tried to consume me, but I tried to play it off as nonchalance.
"What storm? I have no idea what you're talking about..." I mumbled, shrinking down under his glare.
"Don't mess with me, girl. We have to be at the top of our game when we head out on this next expedition, so we need to clear the air between us."