CHAPTER THIRTEEN: What Matters

I could tell Levi was growing more and more agitated as he listened to the Scout explain Erwin's message, but it was definitely directed at me. I was the one had placed a crown of multicoloured poppies atop of his head, and I was trying to reach around from behind him to sit more against his cravat. They were pretty withered because I had forgotten all about them, so I decided the best time to put them to use was when there was an important meeting I had nothing to do with.

"-nd he specifically asked that you and your squad take care of...Um, Sir, would you like me to wait until...uh, the young lady is done, or..?" The unnamed solider gave us both a strange look and Levi heaved a long, frustrated sigh.
"No, carry on...If I tell her to stop she'll just start bitching." He gave me a quick, sharp look from over his shoulder and I narrowed my eyes; snatching the crown from his head and stomping over to Gunther so I could place it on his instead.

Just trying to lighten the mood...sheesh...

The solider went on to explain that there had been a herd of cattle spotted due north from Wall Rose, and that they were headed towards the tall forest. Erwin had requested that Levi and the others lead a small group of Scouts to gather them up, which I guess I could understand. It sounded like a pretty pathetic mission, but livestock was dwindling in numbers these days, so it made sense.

"Couldn't be a worse time...but I suppose we have no choice. The brat's training isn't really that important now, anyway, considering she's a cut above the rest already..." The ravonette sighed as he stood up and turned to his squad; complete with a floral-topped Gunther. "Eld, Oluo and Gunther, get yourselves ready. Petra, you shall remain here with (Y/N) to keep her training going."
"Awww, but I wanted to go too..." Whined the ginger, who deflated immediately. I felt a little guilty, but there wasn't much I could do. Asking that Eld stay behind was out of the que-

"If you want to go, I'll just stay with the kid. Besides, not to brag, but out of the four of us I have the most experience...plus I've trained a few recruits, too...It would make sense that I do it." Eld piped up out of the blue, and I couldn't help the twitch of my lips as he gave me a soft smile. Levi, on the other hand, had a dark expression come across his face.
"Fine. I don't care who stays. Whoever is coming, get the fuck ready. Now." With that, the man strode out of the room, leaving the rest of us a little stunned at his extra harshness.

"Someone's snippy..." Gunther chuckled nervously before giving my head a hurried pat and following after the captain. Oluo did the same, but Petra stopped to give me a quick hug.
"Remember what I taught you..." She whispered in my ear in a girlish giggle; almost skipping after Oluo whilst I choked on oxygen.

It didn't take long for them to make the preparations, and soon Eld and I were standing out the front of the castle to bid them farewell.
"We shall return by at least late tomorrow afternoon...Eld, I trust that you won't slack off. If she can't recall every dummy she's slain by the time I get back, I'm going to kick you in the jaw." Levi stared down at his second in command, and Eld gave him a firm salute; his fist clashing against his puffed chest.
"You have my word, Sir!"

God, you have your head so far up his ass...Is his colon squeaky clean, too?

They left straight after that. I didn't get scolded by the captain, nor did he really spare me a second glance. It was kind of disheartening, but I couldn't pinpoint why. It wasn't like I wanted to impress him or anything. At least, I didn't think that was the case.

"Okay, kiddo...You heard the man...We're gonna go through this course as many times as it takes for you to get this right. I've been kicked by that damn boot before, and I'm not really keen to have it happen again..." Eld laughed nervously; starting to walk towards the entrance. "I'll go grab our gear, then I can set it up. In the meantime...you make me one of those cute flower crowns, 'kay?" His grin struck me right through the ticker, and all I could do was nod and give him some awkward, toothy smile in return.