CHAPTER EIGHTY: Unhinge

***(Y/N) POV***

I didn't stop to speak to Armin, who had joined the unconscious Eren upon the wall. Even if I had wanted to, I couldn't. Beyond the Colossal, I could see Reiner. Awake and moving.

Locating the survivors of our squads, I landed beside Sasha, causing her to sqeak.
"(Y..Y/N)! What's going on out there? Are they winning?" She asked hopefully, but I crushed those hopes with a shake of my head.
"Most are dead, but they have a plan. We just need to focus on taking these two bastards down."

Jean placed his hand on my shoulder and directed my attention to the Colossal, and I could feel his pulse hammering through our contact.
"Armin and Eren are going to face Bertholdt. He realised he's gotten thinner since he transformed. I trust his judgement, so that leaves us with Reiner."

Of course it does...

"Right...well, we better get it done, then..." Stepping out from beneath Jean's hand, I turned to face the others, ignoring the queasy feeling in my rancid guts. "From the looks of it, we only have four thunder spears left. We can't risk wasting a single one. Anyone have a plan?"

Everyone fell quiet as we racked our brains, the ground shaking with each footstep each of the enemy titans took.
"He'll be protecting his nape...so aiming from behind won't work like last time..." Mikasa stated, her eyes constantly darting towards where her two childhood friends were located.

"Then...why not the front..?" Jean caught all of our attention, motioning to his own throat. "If we can unhinge his jaw, a thunder spear directly into the back of his throat would be just as effective, wouldn't it?"

His logic was flawless, and I hated to admit it, but why would I have expected anything less? He had always been a good strategist.
"I guess that's the plan, then..." Connie murmured, taking a deep breath and nodding to each of us in turn. "Well, Capt'n?"

There was no avoiding it. Capture Riener, or kill him. One or the other.
"Kirstein will be my second, so if I freeze up, follow his command, okay guys..?" I had to be honest. They all knew how I felt about the situation, and they had all told me to lean on them when I needed to. Now, I would likely need it more than ever.

Once we went over the plan, we were off, a full frontal rush towards the armoured titan. We needed to gain his attention, and once we had, it was only a matter of executing the plan. My breath was stuck in my throat as we got close, rushing by his head to make him turn. We made eye contact. I felt his breath on my skin...before we were blown back by the wind of him taking off in a sprint.

"He's ignoring us! He's focused on Eren!" Connie exclaimed, having to dodge Mikasa as she spun around.
"Then we've got to kill him!" She shouted, already off after him before finishing her sentence.
"Mikasa, get back here..!" I shouted, nearly giving myself whiplash as I followed.

Was this how people felt about me, whenever I went against orders and broke formation..? Now I get why I pissed so many people off...

I cursed loudly as the wild ravonette shot her thunder spear into the back of the titan's knee, watching him stumble and drop when it exploded, taking out an entire row of buildings on his way down.
"Hey!" Jean flew up behind us, but Mikasa didn't turn her head. She was too focused.
"If we can't gain Reiner's attention, then we've got to finish him off right here." She explained, her scarf trailing behind her form like a crimson snake. "Our job is to protect Eren and Armin."

You're right...

"We've only got three thunder spears." Connie called out, falling in to flank us along with Sasha.
"We've gotta try anyway! There's no way we're gonna win if we don't fight!" She added, and I turned my attention ahead again. Reiner was trying to sit up, glaring at us with glowing gold.