CHAPTER FIVE: Platform

It wasn't much of a surprise to me when I was the last to arrive at the training grounds. Sleeping indoors had been a major luxury for me outside of the walls, and I still wasn't used to it. What made things worse was that I was immediately called out by Shadis for not wearing my designated uniform.

"What makes you think you're so special, newbie?!" He screamed in my face as I stood stock still in fear. "Just because you came from out there doesn't mean you'll be treated any different!" The only things I had bothered to wear that were mandatory were my boots and my straps, which I had a lot of trouble with. Despite being scared of this new authority, his yelling wasn't what was phasing me. It was the fact that it was happening in front of so many people.

"I don't think I'm special...I just don't see the point..." I mumbled before receiving a hard shove.
"You address me as Sir, cadet! Where is your ODM gear, huh?!" His spittle rained down onto my cheeks and I had to withstand the urge to spit right back. I hadn't been given any ODM gear, so I didn't exactly know how to respond.

"Uh, Sir, I'll take her to get one of the spare sets..." I turned to find Marco stepping out of line; his back straight and his chin up in respect. I didn't think I could ever act like that around anybody. Ex Commander Shadis gave him a narrow-eyed look before nodding and turning his back to me.
"Hurry up about it, cadet. When she returns, she is to complete a drill to prove her worth..."

A drill? Seriously?

I followed Marco in silence until we were well out of sight and inside the workshop, where he rummaged around before pulling out the familiar silver gear.
"Here...Sorry about Shadis...He's really strict..." He placed it down on one of the benches and gave me a frown. "He didn't hurt you when he pushed you, did he?"
"No...I'm fine, thank you..." I murmured; eyeing the gear with scepticism. "I'm...sorry to ask...but...could you help me put this stuff on..? I've never used it before..."

This seemed to shock Marco, as his eyes widened and his mouth popped open.
"Wait...you've never used it?! How are you gonna do the drill when we get back?! I didn't think people were allowed to participate in training unless they could at least show they could balance with this stuff!" His stress was infectious, and I began to chew on my bottom lip as he began to help me hook the gear up.

"It...can't be that hard, right? I was just thrown straight in here...I have no idea how any of this works..." I admitted; trying to ignore the fact that Marco's hands were fiddling with the straps around my waist.
"It's pretty difficult, (Y/N)...Some people even got kicked out for not being able to do it..." He explained in a worried tone. "B..but...I'll try to explain how it works before we get back...I'm...sure you'll be able to pull it off..."

And explain he did, but there wasn't much time at all between the workshop and the training grounds, where Shadis was waiting impatiently. Everybody else was busy with hand to hand exercises, and I tried to disregard their presence as the elder man approached me.
"See that tower there?" He motioned to a large wooden structure a few yards away. It had a small platform on top, and surrounding it were a few medium sized trees. "You have to get to the top. First try. I don't give a shit if the Commander think's you're an asset. If you fail, you're out on your ass with a one way ticket to a prison cell, got it?" I just stared up at the platform before I glanced over at Marco, who was gnawing away at the tip of his index finger in worry.

"Yes..." I confirmed I understood, and I refused to take notice of his frustration when I didn't refer to him in the correct manner.
"GATHER AROUND, CADETS! LET'S SEE IF THE FRESH MEAT HAS WHAT IT TAKES!" That was what started to throw me off. Everyone came to stand around us, and all of the eyes made my skin feel like it was covered in fleas. "You may start when you're ready, cadet..." I turned my attention back to the platform again before scanning the few trees surrounding it. None of them matched the height of the tower, but if I was able to use a swinging motion correctly, I could make it up. Maybe.