CHAPTER FIFTY SEVEN: No Longer Human

***(Y/N) POV***

"If our information is correct, they're down here..."

Levi crouched over a small door in the floor of the Reiss Church, where we all huddled, ready to go. We had a plan, one that would go off with a bang. Literally. All we had to do was psych ourselves up.

"So, this Kenny guy...We stand a chance..?" Crouching beside him, I stared at the door, pursing my lips.
"Yes. He himself is a force, but I've never known him to work well with people. His squad shouldn't be impossible to deal with." Levi replied, seeming somewhat distracted.

"Shouldn't be, huh? Sounds great..." Connie groaned, rubbing his face with the heels of his hands. Tension was high. There was a lot at stake, and we had to be at the top of our game and willing to do anything to make sure we came out on top. Despite disliking Eren as a person, I knew how important he was.

"Well..." Standing up and cracking my neck a little, I placed my hands on my hips, looking down at Levi. "...I think we're as ready as we'll ever be." Nodding, the captain followed me in standing up, checking his straps.
"Damn right. Get into position. We're going in."

We can do this. We're prepared.

It was a pain in the ass climbing down the hatch, and I very nearly ended up becoming too aquainted with Connie's rear end in the process. Hoisting our secret weapons down proved even harder, but we got the job done.

"Listen...if you see a man in a wide brimmed hat...stay away from him. He's mine." Levi leaned in close to my ear, and I pushed against the backs of my teeth with my tongue.
"Yeah, well, if he comes at me, I won't be picking and choosing." I replied stubbornly, triple checking all my straps and ties.

I didn't externally flinch when he grabbed my arm, but it startled me. It was almost desperate.
"He's mine. You don't go after him. Understood?" He reiterated, forcing me to look up at him when he squeezed. It didn't hurt, but the situation was still a little disconcerting.
"Noted..."

Finally releasing me, he made his way to the front of the group, positioning himself in front of the doorway.
"Alright. When I kick this open, you push the barrels out. Sasha, we're counting on you to do this right. Are you sure you can do it?"

She nodded aggressively, bow at the ready. Her job was to hit each barrel in turn with flaming arrows, igniting the oil which would set off the gunpowder within. She was crucial to the plan. Taking in a deep breath, Levi nodded in response before reeling his leg back.

My feet were moving even before the door burst open, and I felt the barrels zoom past me before everything became bright. Wherever we were, it looked like the world was made of crystaline glass, and if I wasn't in a hurry, I would have been amazed.

"Here they come! Shoot 'em down!" I heard someone yell out from above, but our plan was already in motion. The first explosion was loud and, thankfully, perfect, and I launched myself into the air the moment the smoke began to fill the space.

They were all around us, muttering and cursing our technique, and it became louder as the others set off signal flares, covering myself, Levi and Mikasa.
"Thirty five total! In the upper parts of the pillars! We take them all out right here!" The captain announced, suddenly sounding so far away from me.

"Everyone, scatter!" A woman's voice barked out. "Let them spread out, then surround them!" We were completely outnumbered physically, but when it came to experience, I was positive we had them beat. It was all a matter of speed, accuracy and resolve now.

Spotting two men heading to the left, I directed myself towards them, noticing Jean out of the corner of my eye doing the same. Another one of Sasha's blasts came just in time, and I knew we both had to act. Only issue was, could Jean really do it?