CHAPTER FIFTY ONE: Level Head

"This coat smells like ass..." I complained in a whisper, squatting in the damp grass between Levi and Armin.
"That's the least of our concerns, (Y/N)..." The blond replied with a sigh, eyes glued to the building we had only left a few moments ago.

It was now swarming with interior police. We had barely escaped, and now we sat back, letting the gravity of the situation sink in. Our horses were down there. Most of our supplies. The ashes of Erwin's warning.

"We need to hurry to the rendezvous point. Lucky the moon is out tonight." Levi backed down the hill a little before standing up, slinging his rifle over his shoulder. I was the first to follow, but I kept my distance, still rattled about the little moment we had shared before Hange had interrupted.

Jean fell into step beside me, but I didn't dare glance over. Of course, things just had to get awkward right before a shitstorm struck.
"You okay..?" After a while, he piped up, but I still kept my eyes facing forward.
"Why wouldn't I be?" It had been a stupid question, and I really didn't want to get into any form of talk, big or small.

"Well, we're fugitives now..." He murmured, the light crunch of his footsteps matching mine perfectly.
"Beats the alternative." I shrugged, tapping my fingers against the barrel of my own rifle. Sasha skipped forward a few steps to flank my other side, peering over at me curiously.
"What's the alternative..?"

"The gallows." Sure, it was dark, but it was the truth. Knowing that there was a chance Erwin could die any day now, if he hadn't already, had been eating at me. I knew I had to shake my fears and try to lighten up, but it was easier said than done. I wasn't even sure I was over the shock of the last chaotic events.

Night turned to day slower than any of us would have liked, and we eventually found ourselves in the Trost district, which was now back to some semblance of normal. Our lives, however, were quite the opposite. We knew who they were really after, so we had a plan in place. That plan involved Jean dressing up as Eren. Again. This time, however, Armin joined him in drag.

"Levi..?" A man called out to us as we passed by, and I could see the captain's shoulders tense.

"It is! I've seen him before, too! Levi, humanity's strongest soldier!"

"Wow, he's small!"

"I've only ever seen him on a horse! Hah!"

I puffed out a pitying sigh as the people continued to voice their insulting opinions, standing back with the rest of the squad to wait and see what he would do.
"You're in the way." His voice sounded calm, but we all knew better. A calm Levi far surpassed the terror of a titan.

The townsfolk began to explain their woes, about how they were starving and suffering thanks to being near the wall, and how nobody dared visit. How it was our fault, for not working hard enough. They were closing in around us, and I ended up packed tight between the disguised Armin and Jean.

"What're you even doing here, anyway? Shopping? Out for a stroll, women in tow..?" When I felt a hand reach from behind me and brush against my cheek, my immediate response was to flinch into Jean, grabbing onto the sleeve of his loose-fitting coat.

"Hey, watch out!" I didn't really focus on what Levi was saying, all because of that damn hand against my skin, but it didn't really matter. When the horse and carriage tore through the crowd, Jean hurled me out of the way, but I still managed to see him get snatched up.

The crowd was startled and scattered, and I immediately raced after Levi, who took off in a flash. The others followed suit, but this time I made sure to stay as close as possible.
"I still don't get how you knew this would happen..!" I muttered, launching myself across to the same building as the ravonet. "I get that we need those two, but do you really think Jean and Armin can pass?! God, and you tell me that I take too many risks!"