CHAPTER FORTY: Far Away From Home

You're still the golden boy, aren't you..?

My glare could have sliced through a thousand napes, and it was directed straight into the back of Eren's skull. His presence had only pissed me off more, as I was already struggling with both a concussion, and the fact that Levi was making it glaringly obvious that he was trying to keep me away from Reiner.

"How you doing, kidlett?" Hange's voice was more mellow than it usually was, and she poked timidly at the bandage around my head. "I'm beyond impressed! From what some of the recruits told me, you took down at least ten titans by yourself, easy!" Shrugging, I glanced off to the side, watching Betholdt say something excitedly to Reiner as they lingered around Armin and that Jaeger bastard.

"I wasn't really counting...Hey, Hange...why is everyone trying to keep me away from them? I wanna go talk to Rei and Bertha..." When I turned back to her, I caught her expression switching from a frown to a forced smile.
"What? Don't be silly! We're doing no such thing! If you want to chit chat, go right ahead!" A bead of sweat drizzled down behind the frames of her glasses. "Though, it would be swell if you could come with me for a bit and give me a short report about the whole ordeal..."

They're up to something...

I was already walking away from her, waving her off over my shoulder.
"Later. Not in the mood." Ignoring her complaints, I made a beeline for the burly blond, who was sitting cross legged upon the wall. Laying my chest against his back, I squished my cheek against his, minding his sling, and sighed. "How's the bite doing, big guy?"

Reiner almost seemed to nuzzle against me, reaching up to place his hand over mine, where it hung over his chest.
"It fucking hurts...but it'll heal. How's your head?" He asked, shifting so he could look at me out of the corner of his golden eyes.
"Feels like a titan smashed me into a stone wall and spun me around like a windmill..." I paused, snorting lightly. "Oh, wait..."

Though his lips pressed against my bandages instead of skin, I still felt the blazing warmth that came along with the small kiss to my forehead. There was something stronger than friendship readily growing between the two of us, but part of me felt like it would be okay to let it happen.
"Y..you guys..." My attention turned to Bertholdt, who was hiding his face behind his elongated fingers, flushing a bright rouge thanks to our exchange.

"Sorry, Bertha...Are you alright? You didn't get hurt too, did you..?" I looked up at the flustered beanpole, and he shook his head, still avoiding proper eye contact.
"Uh, no, I'm fine...Thanks for asking, (Y/N)..."

What a lanky baby boy.

"So, what were you two so excited about? I saw you guys smiling a little while ago." I asked, finally pulling myself off of Reiner's back and opting to lean against his uninjured side on my knees. The pair exchanged a strange look, but as soon as it came, it was gone again.
"Just about our hometown...We think we might be able to go back sooner than we thought." Reiner said with a small smile, taking my hand and giving it a squeeze. "You should come with us..."

"Uh, Reiner...I don't think that would be such a great idea..." Bertholdt shifted his weight uneasily, knitting his brows together, but Reiner clicked his tongue loudly.
"After what we've gone through, it's the least they could give me..."

Am I...missing something..?

Before I could question his strange mumbles, I heard somebody call out to me, and when I turned around, I wasn't sure why I felt kind of happy to see who had spoken my name.
"Lived to see another day, Kirstein?" I put a fair whack of my weight on Reiner's shoulder as I pushed myself to a stand, as my head was still giving me a lot of trouble.