CHAPTER THIRTY TWO: Back To It

Somehow, I had mostly been able to avoid Nicholas once he moved into the barracks. I had not attended the court house the day the premier stripped him of his titles, nor had I agreed to provide them with a verbal or written statement. It all fell to the Commander's swift tongue and word, which, as usual, worked like a charm.

I had also been trying to avoid Levi, who was awfully persistent in seeking my agreement to become his number two. It wasn't exactly a matter of my answer of whether I was willing or not, but rather when I would be returning to the squad.

He was after me again, stalking the length of the barracks, and I was desperately trying to find a good hiding place. He was relentless, but I just didn't feel like I was up to going back to my supposed duties. Lady luck seemed to smile down upon me, as I spotted Reiner practicing his kicks on a dummy in the training grounds.

"I'm just gonna duck down here real quick, 'kay?!" I startled him as I skidded to a halt, crouching behind him in a final attempt to make myself invisible. Reiner cocked a brow, but he shifted so that he was blocking me as much as possible, and I sat there in absolute silence.

Please please please please...Just walk by and go look somewhere else..!

A little while passed, and I was starting to think I had succeeded, until Reiner spoke up.
"He totally knew you were here, (Y/N). He rolled his eyes and stormed off." He chuckled, offering me his hand. Groaning, I accepted and pulled myself to my feet, brushing off the dust that had collected on the rim of my shirt.
"Dammit...He's been hounding me like some kind of...I dunno...hound..."

Abandoning his dummy, Reiner started walking with me as I headed back towards the populated area of the barracks.
"Haven't seen you around much lately...Have you been doing okay?" He questioned, wiping his hands on his pants. Heaving a sigh, I looked over to him with narrowed eyes.
"I don't care how much bigger you are in comparison...If you ask if I've been eating or sleeping well, I'll headbutt you so hard we'll both end up with concussions..."

I'm over those questions...

Reiner held his hands up in mock defense, chuckling slightly at my aggressive persona.
"I don't doubt that for a second. People just want to make sure you're alright, so you can't get too mad at them. I was referring to your injuries, is all." Feeling a little guilty, I relaxed, shrugging my shoulders and barely feeling the twinge in the left.

"Oh...Well, they're healing, I guess...I'll be back to work pretty soon, once Levi manages to catch me..." It was an almost laughable game of cat and mouse. I knew if he really wanted to, Levi could corner me in an instant, but he made it abundantly clear that he wanted it to be my decision. That didn't stop him from loading on the peer pressure, though.

"He acknowledges your skill. In any other circumstance, I'd say it's an honour...but I can understand why you'd be so hesitant." Reiner hooked his thumbs into his harness and peered at me from the corners of his wheat-field eyes. "It all comes down to what you want, (Y/N). Don't let the captain push you into something you're against."

Hah...

"Isn't that the exact point of our professions..?" I questioned with a bitter laugh. "I mean...We're supposed to die on command, aren't we? I dunno...I'm gonna accept, sure...but it just feels like I'm supposed to be a replacement..."

I can't replace him...I can't hold a candle to any of them...

Reiner nodded in understanding, slowing his pace to match mine.
"I get that. Try and think of it like being a successor instead...You are the most experienced and capable out of the entire graduating class, by a landslide. It makes sense that he would think you'd be the best choice. You're used to working with him, and, just between you and me, I wouldn't wanna get on your bad side. When you're angry it's absolutely terrifying..."