CHAPTER THIRTY SIX: Humiliation

"Why is your hair so fluffy? I mean, how dare you have fluffier hair than me...a woman...It's just plain rude..." I muttered mostly to myself as I rode upon Mike's shoulders, combing through his blond locks. I had discovered over the past two days that it was the most efficient way to avoid everybody else, and the captain didn't really seem to mind it.

"Eggs." He said casually, tapping his fingers against my ankles, where he was keeping me steady. I had already tumbled off twice. Once screaming at Jean for startling Boy, and the other because I had sneezed a little too violently.
"Oh. That's...unique..."

Mike and I had forged one weird relationship, that was for sure. I was like the little annoying parrot on his shoulder; literally, squawking and chirping his ear off, and he just accepted it. I had even fallen asleep either on or against him multiple times, and I had heard rumors that he had threatened some of the louder soldiers, blackmailing them with suggestions of their insubordination. He was the one person that felt safe enough to openly care about.

"I need you to assist with the head count, (Y/N)." He tilted his head to look at me. "The main reason you're here is to get in close, so I hope you won't mind gritting your teeth and playing nice." I flopped over like a ragdoll; the two of us completely unphased that my breasts were smooshed right up against his head, and groaned in complaint.

"Mimi...I don't wanna get down. There are people down there..." I irked, and he jostled his shoulders a little, causing me to shriek out and cling to his ears.
"Are you saying that you don't see me as a person? I'm hurt." He teased, sticking his majestic nose in the air. Faking a sob, I slid down his back with all the grace of an uncooked sausage, crumpling on the ground.
"Woe is me...I hurted my best fwend's feewings..." I mocked him with a loud, feigned sniffle before erupting into an unrestricted cackle as he lightly prodded my ribs with his boot.

"Would you please do it? For me?" He looked down at me, and I caved. He was one of the only people who hadn't ordered me around like some kind of animal, and I felt like I owed him some form of respect. He helped me to my feet, and I patted him on the arm as I walked past.
"Sure...for you..."

It really was crowded inside the large cottage, and the stink of body odor was almost overwhelming. I made straight for the usual people, having to squeeze and shove my way through.
"Well, if it isn't Captain Piggyback?" Ymir was the first to notice me, but zipped her lips the second Krista shot her a cranky glare.
"Ymir! Sorry, (Y/N)! How are you feeling? Sorry about the other day, we didn't mean to upset you..."

How the actual fuck can somebody be so painfully adorable? It's illegal?

"I'm fine...Thanks, Krista. No harm done..." I skipped my eyes over Jean, who had turned his head away in what I could only perceive as disgust. "Just checking in. How are all of you doing? I bet you're pretty bored..."
"I'm sneaking out." Connie spoke up, and I was a little taken aback at how frustrated he sounded.
"Connie, shhhh! She's an acting captain!" Sasha clipped him over the back of the head, but he just waved her off before turning to glare into my eyes.

"What, you gonna tell on me? My village is nearby...to the south...I wanna prove to them that I really made it..." I knew how he felt; wanting to prove ones self, and crossed my arms, looking away to the side.
"Huh? What was that? I didn't hear a thing..."

I get it...Go for it, baldy...

Surprised, Connie offered me a very faint smile, leaning his chin back down on his arms.
"Thanks, (Y/N)..."
"Do you think we'll be allowed to go home anytime soon? It's so cramped here..." Bertholdt asked me, looking around nervously at all the people, and I shrugged.
"I really don't know, but I hope so. If one more person calls me ma'am, I'm going to piss in their boots..."