CHAPTER NINETEEN: I'll Be Back

"Uh...(Y..Y/N)..? W..wakey wakey..." I groaned as someone tapped me on the cheek, squishing my face down into the mattress.

Wait...this is too firm for a mattress...

Cracking an eye open, I realised my head was resting on a chest, and trailing further up, I met Marco's flustered face.
"Five more minutes..." I sighed, closing my eyes again, unphased that my entire body was laying atop his.
"B..but you'll be late for your expedition..." He tapped me again, and this time I propped myself up on my elbows.
"Do I have to?" I yawned, reaching out and flicking a few wild strands of black hair from his forehead.

"I'll walk you to the stables, i..if you want me to..." Marco offered, trying to gently force me to move off of him. "I don't want you to go...but I also don't want you to get in trouble..." Flopping down, I groaned into the scooped neck of his night shirt and peeled myself away, almost rolling off onto the floor if he hadn't grabbed me around the waist.

"Shit...Thanks, Marco." I chuckled, missing the intense flare on his cheeks. "I guess I really should get up..." The cadet pulled me up into a sitting position along with him, and we both crawled out of bed. The sun was barely starting to peek over the horizon, and I rubbed my (E/C) eyes, trying to force them to adjust to the darkness. Once they did, I focused on the bed on the other side of the small room.

Jean was sprawled out on his stomach; one arm limply dangling over the edge of his bunk, with his mouth popped open ever so slightly. His sheets were a messy tangle around his calves, and his entire pillow, along with his head, were dangerously close to falling over the edge.
"Yeah, he's a restless sleeper...Especially since graduation is in a few days...We both really want to be in the top ten so we can be interior policemen." Marco explained, hurrying to try and change his shirt before I could turn and see his bare chest.

So...I won't see you guys anymore...

"Are you kidding? Of course you two will be in the top ten. You're both natural leaders...anyone can see that." I responded, creeping closer to Jean's bed and crouching down by his upper half. "I'm gonna miss you when you go...Not so much this asshole...but still..." I trailed off, gently taking hold of the copperette's pillow and pushing it further onto his bed, carefully moving his head along too.

"I'll come and visit you as much as I can, I promise!" Marco insisted, hopping on one leg as he tugged on his boot. "I mean, I honestly feel like I should join the scouts...so I can look after you, and-"

"No." My voice was a little loud, and Jean stirred a little before resuming his faint snoring. Standing up, I refused to look my friend in the eyes as I turned to fetch my own boots. "It's suicide..."

God knows if I'll even come back from this little expedition...

"That's why I don't like this..." I heard him whisper, but I chose to ignore it, slipping on my boots and meeting him at the door.
"Oi..." I flinched a little when I heard that second voice, and turned to catch eyes with a sleepy Jean, who had his head propped up on his hand. "Try to come back, alright?"

Heh...

"Sure...I'm not finished pissing you off yet..." I stuck out my tongue, but a smile was curling my lips, and he mirrored my expression with a little less zest. Leaving the room with Marco by my side, we quickly stopped off at the women's living quarters so I could fetch my straps and gear, before heading towards the stables.

"So...What's the special operation squad like..? I've heard horror stories about that captain..." Marco visibly shuddered, and I shrugged my shoulders, pinching at a strap that tried to ride up my thigh.
"Eh, he's a little prick...but he seems to know what he's doing. I mean, he caught me, right?" I laughed, and he joined in.
"True, true...What about the others? Do they treat you well?"