CHAPTER FORTY SIX: The List

"Hey...what would you think someone meant if they said they were fond of you..?" I asked as I prodded at my breakfast roll, pursing my lips. It had been four days since Levi and I had returned from the interior, and his words hadn't left my thoughts. I had merely said I was fond of him too, but thinking back on it, it felt like it could have had a number of meanings.

"I dunno...If it was a guy, probably means they like you, I guess?" Connie replied with a full mouth, hammering his chest when something slid down the wrong pipe.

Why the hell am I asking Springer, of all people?

"Do you mean...friendship like...or...like like..?" I questioned, pushing my plate away, only to have him shove it right back towards me.
"What are you, a little kid? I mean in the romantic sense, obviously! And don't you go skipping out on food again, (N/N)! I haven't seen you eat a damn thing for weeks!" Raising my hands in sarcastic defense, I stuck my tongue out at him, reaching for the stale bread and taking an exaggerated bite, chewing with my mouth wide open.

"Happy?" I snarked once I had swallowed, already feeling indigestion firing up in my chest. "Romantic, huh? Yeah, I doubt that...This person isn't exactly someone who would feel like that towards anyone...I think..."

Maybe? I have no idea...My head still hurts...

Glancing around to make sure nobody was in ear shot, Connie leant over the table and directed his ear towards me.
"C'mon, tell me a name, at least! My lips are sealed, I promise!" He urged me to spill, and I hesitated. I did trust Connie, especially after he had hauled my injured, unconscious ass out of battle, but was I really about to throw Levi under a carriage when it could have been a mere compliment to a peer?

"Well..." I bit my lip, twining my fingers together beneath the table. "...do you swear?"
"On all the hairs I have left on my head. Tell!" Connie was almost flat against the tabletop now, and I caved.
"It was...Levi..."

"HAH?!" I wanted to facepalm as I heard his crotch splatter his breakfast when he lost his balance, and he slid back down to a seated position, seeming unphased by the mess he had made of himself and the entire bench. "I THOUGHT YOU WERE GONNA SAY J...SOMEONE TOTALLY DIFFERENT!" He screeched, and I lobbed my half-eaten roll at his shaved head.
"Shut up, loud mouth! Everyone's staring!" I hissed, curious, but choosing to ignore who he may have thought I was speaking of. "Yeah...It's so out of character for a guy like him to say something like that...let alone anything nice at all..."

There's no way...

Flicking the cold rice porridge from his shirt, Connie blew out a long whistle, shaking his head in disbelief.
"I mean...wow...Isn't he like, old? And emotionally constipated, or something? That's what I've heard, anyway..." He laughed awkwardly, looking back at me.
"Not like, old old...but older...And yeah, from my experiences with him, he's a little backed up in the sentimental department...That's why I have no idea what to make of it..."

"If I'm honest...I have no clue...which means you're up shit creek, cuz I'm the smartest guy in this damn district." Connie sighed, allowing his ego to overflow a little. "I dunno...just wait and see what happens. You're a pretty girl, and strong as hell, even if you're off your rocker...He wouldn't be the only one who likes you." Squinting, I stared right at him, scrunching up my nose.
"You're not saying you-"

"Nooooooo way, (N/N)! Absolutely not what I was getting at!" Cheeks flaring, the boy shook his head wildly, causing me to sigh in relief. "All I'm saying is that if you take notice of details a little more, you might be surprised."
"That sounds like a whole lotta effort, Con. Every guy I get close to seems to die...as though there's some higher power, ticking them off the list and enjoying watching me suffer..." I mumbled, looking up at the ceiling. "...The ugly fucker is probably grinning ear to ear right now after dealing me the last couple of chapters of my life..."