CHAPTER FORTY SEVEN: Kicker

"Even my butt feels hungry..Are we there yet?!" Sasha whined, lagging a small distance behind the rest of the group. Cringing at her use of words, I peered down at the map, which Moblit had kindly offered to draw up, since Erwin was in no condition to do it himself.
"Eh, not much further. Should be able to see it soon enough." I replied, trying to hide a yawn behind my hand.

Waking up that morning in Erwin's office had come as a bit of a surprise. I did recall falling asleep in his lap, but when I came to, I was curled up on the couch with the Commander's coat draped over me. He had just been sitting at his desk, trying his darndest to get through piles of paperwork. That had been at five in the morning, and I had helped him out until we had to leave, at six thirty.

Oh god...Did I really tell him I wished he had been my dad?!

"Is that it, (Y/N)?" I directed my attention to where Armin was pointing, and spotted a two story cabin, along with a decently sized barn off to the side. It was kind of small for nine people, but I didn't really feel like complaining.
"I dunno. Probably. Come on, last one there is Levi's little bitch..!"

It was a strange feeling riding a horse other than Boy. The mare beneath me was so foreign, especially when I added the fact that I had to use tack. My ass felt like it was raw from the leather seat of the saddle. What was even weirder, though, was that I wasn't in the lead, like I usually was. I was right near the back of the group, and it hurt.

Boy...I miss you, Buddy...

What made things even worse, was that I was now staring right into the back of Eren Jaeger's head. I knew that my hatred wasn't healthy, nor was it completely justified, but it was still burning behind my eyes as I gripped at the reins, trying to lean further into the gallop, just so I wouldn't lose.

In the end, I was the second last person to skid to a halt by the side of the barn, leaping off before my horse had even stopped moving completely. It was just in time to see Jean and his mare canter up behind me. He raised his brow and gave me a small smirk as he dismounted.
"Thought I'd spare your ego this one time." He snickered, and; ignoring the ghastly flutter in my chest, I returned his exact expression, walking up to him and pressing my finger into his chin.
"Yeah, but that makes you Levi's bitch."

"You're all my bitches." For some reason, I flinched when I heard his voice, but I was lucky enough to trap the startled squeak that tried to slip out of my mouth. Turning, I watched the stoic ravonet approach me, and I backed up until my back bumped into Jean's chest. "What sort of time do you call this, brat? You should've been here yesterday nightfall, at the latest."

He was majorly pissed. I could tell by the way his nose screwed up in the centre of his face, but that wasn't why I was nervous. I still couldn't shake the conversation I had had with Erwin out of my mind.
"From the furthest reaches of my heart..." I reached up at patted my chest lightly. "...my bad."

It was great to know I was still quick on my feet. When I saw the captain's leg twitch forwards, I was out of the way in the next heartbeat, and the shin that got booted belonged to a now yelping copperette. I'd never admit I felt kind of bad for letting him take the hit, but it did make me wince in sympathetic pain when he crouched down, holding his leg.

Wait...Levi was going to actually kick me..?

"Well, sorry Jean...You know what we gotta do with horses once they're lame." I heard Eren's chuckle from the cluster of recruits, and my mood did a complete one eighty. Though, this time it wasn't his mere existence that was making me see red. It was the comment that currently hit a little too close to home.