CHAPTER TWENTY TWO: Reunion

I could hear the screams from a mile away.

Boy couldn't carry me fast enough, and my chest burned with something I wasn't all that unfamiliar with.

Fear.

"Wh..what the fuck..?!" Oluo's breath was caught in his throat as we galloped at full speed towards that giant, crumbling hole in the wall. Titans were stepping and dragging their way towards it, eyes set on their prizes, and I was terrified.
"Straight into it, all of you! Kill any titan you see!" Levi was unreadable, yet there was this strange pitch to his voice. I wouldn't exactly call it fear, but it was definitely similar.

"Boy...go!" I kicked my horse's sides as hard as I could without hurting him, and he broke out ahead of the squad. I could see something heading towards that gaping hole, and I needed to get through before it could reach it.
"(Y/N), for fucks sake, wait up!" Eld screeched after me, but I wasn't going to stop for anybody.

Come on, come on, come on..!

The closer I got, the more I began to focus on what was heading towards the ruined gate. It was a titan, and it seemed to be carrying a giant boulder. Confused, but too focused on beating it, I leaned as far as I could over the arch of Boy's neck, urging us to go faster. Weaving through titans didn't scare me, and they didn't quite seem to notice as I slipped past, almost through to where I needed to be.

I gotta beat him..! Almost...there..!

It was a close call. I could see the rounded surface of that damned boulder coming down as we passed through the jagged arch, and my heart seemed to stop as I heard it; almost felt it, crash down only a few feet behind us. I didn't even stop to look at that strange titan, nor to acknowledge Mikasa and Armin, who were directly behind.

I made sure I was a little ways into one of the narrowed streets before I made use of my odm gear, launching off of Boy and into the air.
"Home, Boy! Go home!" I shouted out, knowing he would have headed to safety even if I hadn't uttered a word. When I reached the rooftops, every muscle in my body seized up.

Buildings were destroyed, smoke and dust rose into the air in thick, spectral swirls, and I could see wood and stone alike, painted red with blood. Titans were scattered along the streets, in all ranges of height and appearance, mindlessly hunting for their victims.

The city of Trost had fallen into complete and utter chaos.

A familiar bald head came into view a few buildings away, and before I had the chance to think, I was zooming towards it. Connie shrieked as I almost slammed into him, grabbing his sleeve to gain his attention.
"(Y..Y/N)..?!" He stammered, looking shocked to see me. "I..I thought you were on an expedition?!"
"J..just got back..." I replied, trying to control my jitters. "Connie, what happened..? Where are the others..?"

The poor boy looked completely traumatised, and I couldn't blame him. He had likely never even seen a titan before this.
"W..we were all up on the wall...doing some Garrison work...when...th..the colossal titan just came out of nowhere!" He explained, and I was sure he would have been pulling at his hair if he had any. "Then Eren turned into a fucking titan, and he killed a bunch of other titans, then titans almost ate him, then he popped out of a titan, then he turned into a titan again, then he went apeshit, then he got the rock, and-"

"Connie..." I grabbed him by the shoulders to shut him up. "...did you just say Eren turned into a titan..?" He had to be joking, or suffering from one hell of a concussion, but he still nodded his head.
"I'm serious! I know it sounds totally stupid, but I know what I saw! Everyone else saw it, too!" The second he mentioned the others, my mind was on track again.