CHAPTER THIRTY SEVEN: State

I was fading in and out of consciousness. I never passed out, but I just couldn't cope with what had happened hours beforehand. Boy had returned not long after the beastly titan had made its leave, and Nicholas' horse had come upon command. Eventually, we had caught up with the southbound team, just as it hit nightfall. We saved a lot of time without having to stop and check villages.

"Y..you two..?! Where's..." Nanaba raced up to us, torch in hand, whipping her head back and forth. "Where's Squad Leader Mike..?"
"Dead..." I whispered hoarsely, simply laying limp across the length of Boy's back. "...He's extremely dead..."

Nicholas went on to explain everything that had happened, and I just stayed there, zoning in and out, only moving to scratch those damn itches that just wouldn't go away.
"(Y/N)...Hey, c'mon...It's dangerous riding like that, and you know it..." I didn't even blink at Reiner when he came over to me, leading his horse by the reigns.

Don't care...May as well die from a cracked skull or broken neck...

"Alright, sit up for me, will ya?" For some reason, I chose to cooperate with the blond as he pulled me upright, mindlessly scooting closer towards the stallion's neck as he nudged my lower back forwards. What happened next was almost enough to pull me out of my shattered state, as Reiner; grunting loudly, mounted my horse behind me.

Boy complained about the sudden intrusion by dancing about a little, snorting in annoyance, but that was it. He didn't buck, nor did he bolt, like he had done in the past with both Eld and Dita, when they had attempted to ride him.

Why...Riener..?

"We're heading to that abandoned castle. We saw it in the distance a few miles back. We'll get you looked after when we get there, right?" When he pulled me back to rest against his chest, I shuddered. Not from terror or from cold, but from the indescribable warmth that radiated from beneath his shirt. It was strangely comforting, in a sad, pathetic way, and I just leant there as he began to walk us onward, hoping someone else would lead his horse in his place.

-------------------------------------------

***REINER POV***

The castle; signage out the front called it Utgard, wasn't in the best shape, but I couldn't care less, as long as it was somewhere we could regroup. (Y/N) just kind of left her body for a while, allowing me to carry her inside and sit her down against one of the walls in the main chamber.
"She looks really pale..." Krista murmured worriedly, pressing the back of her hand against the girl's forehead. "Her skin is like ice..!"

"She's in shock..." Nicholas approached, taking his hooded cape and draping it over his sister's front like a blanket. "I am too...but (Y/N) is...I don't want to say sensetive...but something close to it...I'm mostly to blame for that..." Something about his closeness made me feel angered; having known how she felt about her family, and I cut into him with my narrowed gold.
"I thought you were supposed to stay away from her."

Nicholas swallowed, shrinking down under my glare, but not once taking his eyes off the acting captain.
"That's...true...I was ordered to keep my distance, unless absolutely necessary...I think getting her away from that titan called for it, though...I killed her once...and I don't want to see it happen again..."

I don't trust him...Not one bit...just like that other brother...

Nanaba seemed to sense the tense atmosphere between us, and she pointed to Ymir, Bertholdt and myself with three outstretched fingers.
"You guys carry her up to one of the spare chambers. Make sure she drinks some water and gets some rest, alright? We need to assume that Captain (L/N) is no longer in any condition to be an active member of this mission." The boyish woman knelt down in front of the pale girl, placing a hand on her shoulder. "Captain...is that okay with you?"