CHAPTER FORTY ONE: Press

The deafening thrum of my pulse was splitting my head apart as I wrestled with Jean, grabbing at his straps to try and get a hold of his gear. It was a pathetic attempt, but I couldn't help but try desperately as he held my arms away from him.

"Y..you're in no condition to fight!" He barked, tightening his grip so much that it actually began to hurt. "Just leave it to the rest of us!" I wished that I could have listened to him. In any other case, I likely would have, but not when it came to this.
"F..fucking...give it..!" It really was a childish thing to do, but biting him seemed like the only option I had. Jean hissed out as I bit into his wrist, but he didn't release me. Instead, that bruising grip only became harder.

The scorching wind blasting out of the deformed colossal titan had weakened considerably, but it was still enough to warrant most of the soldiers taking cover. My bandage was loosening around my forehead as it was whipped around with my hair, and I thought that I could feel my brain turning into a slurry of grey matter inside my skull. Hearing the infuriated roars below us, down on the ground, made me all the more determined.

"I'm not...giving in...to you, you moron..! I get it..! You're pissed..! You're all messed up..! Revenge, or closure, or whatever it is you want...isn't gonna help!" Jean managed to push me down on my back, pressing in so that we were now fully guarded by the chunk of rubble once more. His closeness caused my to scream out loud, kicking and flailing to get him off. I knew he was just trying to stop me making a mistake. I knew I wasn't in any condition to battle; mentally or physically, but he wasn't the one to get to make those decisions.

But...I can't force him off of me...I'm no match right now...Dammit..!

I allowed my arms to fall to my sides, pinned beneath clenched fists and crumbled stone. Jean sighed loudly with relief, partially sitting up on my shins and peering over at the colossal titan; Bertholdt, who was just sitting there, emitting steam and teetering from side to side.

"This...is so fucked up..." I heard him murmur to himself, unable to look up at his face. It was taking everything I had not to try and look down below, knowing that seeing Reiner in such a form, battling Eren, would just seal my mental break.
"O..oi..! Anyone able, push forward! Get close enough to take it down..!" Someone yelled out, but Jean didn't make a move to obey.

It was then that I looked up at him, questioning his disobedience without words, and he scrunched his nose.
"I'm not able. I gotta babysit you, you self-destructive shit..." He growled, wincing as a small barrage of stones pelted him in the side of the face.

This is ridiculous...I need to get down there...If there's a chance Reiner might listen to me...then maybe...

It may have been due to still being in shock, or perhaps the fact that the sound sent an almost unbearable pain through my head and down towards my temples, but when Reiner; the armored titan, belted out a piercing roar, I clung to the looser material around Jean's arms, holding my breath and counting the seconds.

That...was a signal...

"IT'S GOING DOWN..! EVERYONE TAKE COVER..! BRACE YOURSELVES..!" Hange's voice warned everyone from towards the front lines, and I was pulled up by Jean as he sat back on his heels more, everything coming into view. The colossal was falling over the edge. No doubt Bertholdt had understood whatever Reiner had yelled to him in that foreign tongue, and was now putting that plan into action.

There has to be a reason to all of this..! Neither of them are bad guys..!

"(Y/N), DOWN!" Once the fleshless titan was in a freefall, the copperet pushed me flat to the ground, curling over and blocking all view. Beginning to struggle, it didn't last long, as I soon returned to clinging to the man for dear life.