CHAPTER TWENTY SIX: Stained Glass

"Uh..."

"Just step on her."

"Sir, that's low, even for you..."

Gunther stepped over my crumpled form as I groaned loudly, trying to stretch out my back so it wouldn't be curved into a permanent hunch. I had been cleaning since the ass-crack of dawn, and it was barely lunch time. Levi hadn't been lying when he had said I would be in for a world of pain, and I wanted to bite his ankles as I laid on the stone floor, cursing out his existence.

"Get up, girl. The windows need to be wiped down. I want birds to break their necks because they can't see the glass." The devil rolled me along with his boot, and I released a half-joking sob.
"But Leviiiiii...they're stained glass..." I wailed, crawling away from his assault and using Gunther's leg to pull myself to a stand.

"Did I fucking stutter? Make it happen." The ravonet barked, but I could hear the sadistic pep in his voice. The sick little freak was enjoying every second of my suffering.
"Make it happen...nyeh nyeh nyeh..." I mimicked him under my breath, grabbing a clean cloth and my bucket of water, lugging it over to the already spotless window pane.

This sucks...He cheated...but...I guess I have to deal with it...He did give me some decent advice after all. I guess it's thanks to him I managed to take the next step with Eldy...

As I lazily rubbed circles against the glass, I spotted something through the ripples. I was lucky Gunther had such astounding reflexes, as he managed go catch me by the collar when I busted the window open, nearly toppling over the edge when I leaned out.
"OIIIII!" I yelled out to the new arrivals below, waving both my hands about in greeting and putting absolute faith in Gunther's grip.

Armin was the first to notice me, waving back and giving me a kindly grin before some of the others followed suit.
"(Y/N), where is Eren?!" Mikasa was the first to call back to me, and it didn't surprise me in the least that she was searching for her angsty teen counterpart.
"Beats me! Try the stables, or with Hange!" I replied, quickly spinning around and headbutting Gunther's broad chest by mistake.

"Easy, tiger." He laughed, stepping aside and letting me dash over to Levi, who looked like he was about to have an aneurysm as I grabbed hold of his cravat with soggy hands.
"I'll be your cleaning bitch for a whole month if you let me off early! Come on, Ackerguy! Pleeeeaaaasseeee?!" The vein in his forehead looked like it was carved in stone, but my heart soared when I heard that defeated tongue click.

"Step off and fuck off..." He muttered, avoiding my eyes as I squealed in delight, letting him go and almost knocking him over when i raced out the door. After going head over was down the stairs more than once, I was a little scuffed when I reached the outdoors, but that didn't stop me from sprinting over to the lined up group of ex-cadets and launching myself onto Reiner's back.

"Shit, (Y/N)...you're lucky I heard you coming..." He laughed loudly, patting the arm I had loosely hooked around his neck.
"Boy missed you! He specifically told me so himself! He said..." I cleared my throat and put on a ridiculous voice. "...I miss my main man, Braun."

"You sure seem spritely, (Y/N)." Bertholdt laughed timidly, giving me a wonky smile when I craned my neck to look at him over Reiner's shoulder.
"Well, yeah! I've been stuck here being put through my paces by the devil himself, so it's great to finally see you guys again!"

Sasha yee-haw'd as she leapt on my back, to which Reiner yelped his complaints, but neither of us let go.
"I missed youuu! Nobody would hunt with me when we had time off! It was awful!" She wailed, smooshing her cheek into the back of my head. For once I didn't seem to be annoyed by her, or anyone, for that matter. After losing Marco, I could see how important these people were to me.