CHAPTER SIXTEEN: Trial

Sleep hadn't been on the cards that night.

I spent most of the early hours of the morning pacing the training yard, trying to keep my head clear and my body ready. Nervous twitches were few and far between now, but my heart was thrumming like crazy.

This is it...One mistake and I'm gonna die...

Slowly, people began filtering into the area. It didn't surprise me, as I knew word travelled light the speed of sound through the barracks, but I only had my eyes peeled for a few specific people. Marco was the first of those people to arrive, quickly followed by Reiner and a few of my fellow training cadets. Jean wouldn't even look in my general direction, but that didn't bother me. I told myself it didn't bother me one bit.

It was only when Levi arrived, along with his squad, that I made any move to approach anybody. The moment I got close enough, Eld pulled me under his arm and squeezed my shoulder.
"You've got this, kiddo..." He murmured, though he really didn't sound sure of himself.

"You're shaking, brat. Get a hold of yourself. Zachary won't look twice at a coward." Levi smacked me lightly over the back of my head, and I gritted my teeth. I was ready to snap at the captain, but Eld beat me to the verbal punch.
"With all due respect, Sir...back off."

He's right, though...Cruel, but right...

Shrugging out of Eld's arm, I didn't say a word as I made my way to the middle of the training yard. I had sensed the commander approaching, and I wanted to hurry up and get this over with. Tall, blond and thick-browed, Erwin passed through the crowd with ease, flanked by the familiar face of Shadis, and an unknown man.

So, this is who holds my life...

"(Y/N) (L/N), I presume." The premier nodded to me once, and I did the same; not trusting myself to open my mouth. "Why are you not in uniform?"
"Sir, I agreed to allow her to refrain from wearing the official uniform for this trial. I believe I explained earlier why that is..." Erwin looked tense, but he was ever the smooth talker.

Cattle...just like the rest of them...

Zachary scrunched his nose, but didn't say anything more on the matter. I already knew I hated him, because I couldn't quite see his eyes through the lenses of his glasses.
"Very well...Let's see it, then. Impress me, (L/N). I'm well aware of what's at stake if you fail to do so."

It was as though I was being paraded in front of a potential owner. If I hadn't had such an emotional revelation the night before, I would have requested to be put down on the spot, but now I had no choice. I had to do whatever I could to survive.

I promised Dimitri...

"Then what is it that I have to do..?" I pushed my question towards Shadis, of all people, and he narrowed his eyes.
"A team run. Take down all the dummy titans, and stay in formation with three of the scouts from the regiment. Any falter, or any misbehavior, and that's the end of your line, girl..."

Team..? Of course that's what they ask of me...

My weakness. I wasn't good with keeping in line, and I found that other people got in my way. I had to stay completely focused if I wanted to keep myself alive, and that was easier said than done.
"Fine..." Struggling not to roll my (E/C) eyes, I waited impatiently to see who the unlucky bastards were.

Three survey corps stepped out from the crowd, and I glared at them suspiciously. One had blond hair, parted down the centre, with a defined nose. The other two didn't have many distinctive features, but they still made me feel uncomfortable.
"(L/N), this shall be your team. Mike Zacharias, Wendell Thorne and Hilda Littlemore." Erwin told me their names, but I didn't pay any attention, as a certain defined nose began to sniff at the crown of my head.