CHAPTER FIFTY EIGHT: Another Choice

Hange was alive, but down for the count. Unconscious, Armin and Moblit had left with her to try and find a way out, in case things went south.

Of course things went south. They always did.

The amount of energy that I was putting into not limping was almost laughable as I tried to keep up with everyone. At top health, even deprived of sleep, I was usually ahead of them, but I was struggling. My thigh was wrapped, but it was still bleeding. The whole area hurt, and radiated down my right leg.

"You should have gone with Armin and Moblit..." Jean murmured from just ahead of me, and I lowered my head a little.
"Nah. Oh, I'm not your girlfriend, either...for the record..." Why had it kind of sounded nice when Levi had said that? At the same time, though, it had hurt.

"I..I know that..!" Jean yelped, skidding to a stop as the others did, which resulted me in nearly smacking into his back. Kenny's crew had sealed the entrance with a woven sheet, keeping us out. They were waiting on the other side if we tried anything. I followed Levi's gaze to the ceiling, where a fraction of the crystal substance was missing, but it was boarded up.

Well...we either charge through...or we lose...

All of a sudden, the cavern lit up in an almost blinding orange and gold hue. A very familiar one.
"Eren..!" Mikasa sounded so distraught when she called the man's name, and for once I couldn't blame her. Eren may have been dead and gone, for all we knew.

The whole place began to shake, and a rush of hot air blew over us, and I crouched down, wincing at the pain in my leg. What was going on?
"Hey, guys..?! This place is about to collapse..!" Sasha yelped, having to jump out of the way as a cascade of wood nearly crushed her. Looking up, we all realised at the same time that our only route to the center of it all had been cleared for us.

"Up! Now!" Levi yelled over the rumbling, launching himself into the air. We all followed suit, and I hated that both Connie and Jean stopped to try and help me up into the opening.
"Quit it..! I'm fine! Focus, you idiots!" I didn't mean to be so rude, but it pissed me off. Why did I have to go and get myself hurt?

It didn't take us long to reach them, and I found myself relieved when I saw Mikasa catch Historia up ahead. Even when I saw Eren, chained to the pedastal. The titan, however, growing larger by the second? Now that shook me.
"Give me the keys!" Levi ordered, and Historia passed them over without a moment of thought.

Rushing to aid them, I grabbed hold of Eren's right arm, but Levi pulled me back. The look he gave me ceased any argument that wanted to fly from my throat, and I backed away slowly, shielding my face from the steam as I met Sasha, Historia and Mikasa at the back wall.

What happened here? Who is that? How the hell is it getting so big..?!

Swallowing my panic, I just watched. The passing of keys, the freeing of limbs.
"Woah..! It's even bigger than the colossal titan..! Crazy..." Sasha gasped in awe, backing up until her back pressed against the crystal. I did the same.
"If it doesn't stop...we're gonna get crushed..."

I should have been shaking in my boots. Crying, throwing up. But no, I didn't feel half as scared as I should have. Was it the blood loss? The possible concussion? Was I just that numb to the looming possibility of death?

"The ceiling! Get back!" Mikasa threw her arm in front of Historia as the ceiling began to crumble and fall, and I was positive that my heart stopped beating until the boys dragged Eren backwards, narrowly avoiding being killed.

Connie and Jean flanked my sides as we watched the titan grow larger, and despite my bland expression, I reached out and grasped each of their sleeves. In return, they both slipped their hands into mine, which I appreciated. Our skin was clammy and hot, but it didn't even come closs to the scorching air around us.