CHAPTER THIRTY NINE: Turn of Events

What the fuck what the fuck what the fuck what the FUCK?!

Either I had hit my head something bad, or Ymir just turned into a titan.

It really wouldn't have surprised me if the former was correct. I had been thrashed around among the sea of titans, and I barely had a lungful of gas remaining. It was sheer luck that they were all packed so closely together, otherwise I would have been dead already.

Ymir was laying into the largest cluster of titans, closest to the tower, and I felt a slight sense of relief as I did my best to round up and slay the stragglers.

At least when my gear cuts out...they'll all be distracted...

Reiner was on my mind as I cut into another nape, barely slicing deep enough. He kind of reminded me of my late lover, in some strange way. He was always watching out for me, and showing me such kindness, which didn't unsettle me. In fact, it made me want to get out of this alive.

I should have known better than to get lost in my thoughts, as I didn't quite notice the large, flabby hand swiping for me from my right. Amidst my attempt at dodging, it clipped me in the hip, sending me flying into the collapsed support stones that Nanaba had accidentally obliterated before her death.

Dammit..! Is it busted..?!

Without much time, I ignored the pain in my side and opposite shoulder, quickly checking the right rig of my odm gear. The gas canister was cracked and whistling, and it looked like the grappelling base had been dented so badly that there wasn't any hope of being able to shoot from that side.

Fuck my entire life..! Is it possible to use just one of them properly..?!

There wouldn't be a chance for me to think it through, as there was a titan clambering over the rubble, straight towards me. Holding my breath, I sprung to my feet and said my prayers, launching my line towards one of the larger titans dealing with Ymir, who looked like she didn't have much longer left to live.

Complete control of my movements was out of the question, but I was doing the best I could. If I could just make it over there, I would likely be able to use the last of my gas to get back up to the roof, to Reiner and the others. It was decent plan, but I was forgetting one minor detail.

The world had it out for us.

Whiplash was unavoidable as I was yanked backwards in the air, helping out as my straps tightened around my chest and thighs. The bastard who had been rushing towards me before lifting off had been an abnormal, no doubt about it, and it had grabbed hold of my cables.

Struggling wildly, I tried to unfasten the buckles holding me in, but my bumbling fingers weren't cooperating. Before I knew it, I could only see blurs, as I began to spin. At first, my panicked mind thought it could have been another piloted titan, but the way I was being whirled around was anything but organised. I had become some kind of shrieking lasso, spinning round and round, being toyed with before it decided I was scrambled enough to ingest.

The sounds of crumbling stone told me that the tower was collapsing, but I was helpless. I didn't even have fumes left, at this rate, and my swords were barely six inches long, dull and blunt. I could almost hear the crack of a whip as the titan jerked me back towards it, and when it dangled me before it's face, all I could do was hang there, emptying the bile from my stomach and gasping for breath.

No...

I was so close to the rest of them. The shadow of the castle topped right at the crown of the fleshy abnormal's head, as it lifted me up at arms length. The sight of yellowing ivories lining the inside of its jaw caused me to feel something I hadn't felt in a long time. It was as though I had reverted back into that pathetic, wailing little child, cowering beneath the hateful eyes of those who had ruined me.