CHAPTER TWENTY: Solo

*3 days into the expedition*

I still had absolutely no idea what our goal was, but we were moving at a snail's pace. Not only that, but I had barely been able to speak to Eld since the night before we left.

We were currently feeding our horses near a thin patch of trees, and I was grumbling to myself bitterly. We had only come across three titans since we had ventured into the confines on Wall Maria, and Levi had been the or to deal with them all. Nothing too exciting; none of them over ten metres, but I was still bored out of my mind.

"Penny for your thoughts?" My glare shifted over to Gunther, who had wandered over to check on me.
"This is stupid...What are we even doing, anyway? I could be missing watching my friends graduate..." I complained, and his expression softened even more.
"Why not go talk to the Captain? I'm sure if you asked him nicely he'd spill the beans." The man chuckled, but I hunched over, scrunching up my nose.

"I don't wanna..." I huffed indignantly, toying with Boy's flaxen mane. Gunther uttered a loud laugh, patting; or rather smacking, me on the back, winding me.
"Man, you're such a child sometimes! How can so much angst fit into someone so tiny?" Recovering from the chummy blow, I rolled my eyes and kicked at the soil beneath our feet.
"Beats me...Ask Levi."

Another snicker came out of the tall, tanned scout, and he nudged me in the direction of the pissy ravonet.
"Just do it, kid! You never know...you two might just get along! You wouldn't be here if he didn't at least respect you!"

If that's the case, he could at least show it a little more...

Heaving a defeated sigh, I trudged over to where the stoic man was resting against a tree, legs stretched out in front of him and crossed over each other.
"Yo, Ackerman." I called out, and he lifted a lid to glare absolute daggers at me.

Yeah, that's right, you pint sized ass nozzle!

"What is it now, brat?" He muttered in question, bringing his knees up towards his chest and leaning upon them. "If you're here to complain about staying in formation again, I'll kick you right in the tit." Sweatdropping, I matched his glare and stood my ground, folding my arms across my chest defensively.
"First of all, that's unsettling. Second of all..." I tightened my jaw, trying to force myself into sounding as pleasant as possible. "...could you please tell me what our objective is? I don't like being in the dark..."

My expectations were surpassed when Levi's face seemed to soften a little bit, and he patted the ground next to him, motioning for me to take a seat. Hesitant, I blinked like a moron before slowly doing what he asked, keeping a decent distance between us.
"Apparently, there is a very important research journal located north-west of Shiganshina, in Sankelmark. Both Hange and Erwin believe that it would be beneficial, so it's our job to retrieve it." He explained, leaning back against the slender tree and gazing over at his squad.

"A journal..? I'm missing everything for a damn journal..?!" I was even more pissed than I had been to begin with.
"If it could be beneficial to humanity, then it's not just a damn journal. If Erwin has faith in it, then it needs to be found." Levi tried to show me some sense, but it wasn't enough for me.
"Oh, I see what's going on here. Erwin is Zachary's dog...you're Erwin's dog...and I'm supposed to be your dog..." I muttered, blowing a few stray (H/C) hairs out of my face.

"I wouldn't be here if I didn't want to be, brat. Don't go making things sound so dramatic. Things would be a lot more pleasant if you would just shut up and learn your place..." Instead of sounding sharp, his last few words seemed quieter. Melancholy, even. Frustrated, yet not sure what to think, I just huffed and jabbed him in the side with two pointed fingers.
"You've got a twig in your hair, shorty..." I pointed out in a grumble, watching him reach up and pull it out in a hurry.