CHAPTER TWELVE: Company

"So..." It was obvious I was completely avoiding Petra's gaze as she wrapped the bandage around my stiff shoulder. "...you and Jinn, huh?" I shook my head wildly, which was a stupid idea that pulled my shoulder even more.
"N..no?! What are you talking about?! Eld and I are just...uh..."

I can't say friends cuz I barely know the guy!

"...acquaintances! Y..yeah...that..." With my cover blown, all I could do was sit there in flustered silence as Petra giggled.
"Calm down, hun! Even I can admit Eld is pretty cute...Not my type, but still a good catch. Want me to put in a good word..?" She playfully punched my knee and I jumped up; thankful she had already finished pinning the bandage.

"It's n..not like that! I mean...h..he is really good looking...and...I guess he's really nice, too...but..." I trailed off as I picked up my shirt.
"He's an angel if you're on his good side. Though I've noticed he's even nicer to you, little miss (Y/N)..." I decided to look at her just as she winked, and I couldn't take it anymore.

"Argh! I just don't know about any of this, Pet! Understanding feelings isn't exactly my strong suit...Unless it's sadness...I know all about that..." I heaved a sigh as I wrestled to get my top on, and the ginger beckoned for me to sit back down.
"I have my work cut out for me...I get it, though. Nobody taught you these things, and I'm gonna step up and fill that pretty little brain of yours with knowledge!"

Oh...Oh dear...

"Tell me, what's the most you know? Kissing, right? Please tell me you know about kissing..." She scooted her chair closer and, in turn, I scooted away.
"O..of course I do! When two people like each other they kiss...and hug...and...have kids..?"

Yes, ladies and gentlemen...I was that out of the loop. I knew what sex was from reading books, but I had absolutely no idea what was entailed apart from putting piece P into slot V. Most of the novels I had read had had pages torn out, or worse, we're so horrifically decayed that I could barely make out a full chapter. I had only learned the name of a period through Sasha and that small blonde girl Krista after I overheard them talking about it quietly during training. I didn't have the qualifications to be an adult.

"Sit tight and listen well, my dear! Let me tell you about the birds and the bees..."

------------------------------------------------------------------

I couldn't even manage to give Eld a sideways glance the next morning after Petra's little life lesson. I never knew someone could go into so much detail...It was somewhat unnerving. We were all standing out where I had been with Levi the day before; the sun was barely rising at this point, and the stoic man pointed out towards the looming trees.

"Okay, I reset all of the dummies. We are to surround (Y/N) from a distance in our basic formation and study her movements. I want to see if my theory is correct." He announced as he turned his pointed finger to me.

"When you're ready, we'll follow. Ignore us. Do not even attempt to look at us. Just do exactly as you did yesterday." I was nervous now, but I knew it had to be done. Surely there was some kind of explanation. There was no way in the world I had done what they thought I had. Taking a deep breath, I launched my first anchor and set off; trying to block out the four extra whizzing sounds behind me.

I suppose Petra stayed behind to time me...I don't wanna do this...There's probably an animal doing it...Or someone followed us out here...or something...I just know it couldn't have been me...

I blinked a few times, and I was coming back down from a circular swing. Confused, I struggled not to look to my sides, where I could hear two of the others flying along. My grip on my blades was tight, and I was sweating already. No, the sun was much higher than it had been a moment ago. Too high for it to have only been a minute or less. A titan dummy popped up and I cleared it with ease, though I didn't think about it. That startled me even more; especially because there was only one thing in my mind.