CHAPTER TWENTY SEVEN: Trust

"FOR THE LAST TIME, STAY IN FORMATION, (L/N)!" Petra bellowed, giving me a vicious glare as I started to veer off to the side again.

"It's not my fault! Boy isn't used to this bullshit!" I snapped back, not exactly lying. It was taking a lot of effort to keep him in line, and I was straining my bum shoulder to direct him back to my position behind the group.

I'm only doing this for Eld, anyway...

I felt my cheeks begin to burn as I recalled his unique way of drilling these formations into my thick head. I even pitied Oluo, who had stumbled into more than one of our little study escapades. He couldn't look either of us in the eyes for a good week or so.

I was chomping at the bit to cut down some titans, but that wasn't my job this time. All I had to do was guard Jaeger, and keep my eyes forward. Boy's ears were flat against his head, and I could feel his muscles twitch in annoyance.

I feel ya, buddy...

A black flare shot into the cloud-dappled sky, and I bit my cheek. The first abnormal sighting, and I wanted to get at it.
"(Y/N), don't you dare..!" Eld snapped me back to reality with a shout, and I realised I had began to drift off course again.
"S..sorry, El..!" I apologised, forcing myself to keep focused.

I had really been trying for him the past month. Not only did I allow him to drill those formations and commands into my head; among other things, but I had also done plenty of training on my own accord. I had spent countless hours training in agility and hand to hand combat with Reiner and Bertholt, as well as odm runs with Krista, Ymir, Jean and Dita.

I wanted to make him proud. That was the only reason I was trying to be obedient.

"Sir, yellow and blue flares from the right flank!" Petra called ahead to Levi, and I turned my head to see the multi-coloured streams dissipating in the air.
"We wait for the Commander's orders!" Levi replied bluntly, continuing on and not even bothering to check it out for himself.

Those mean...withdraw...and failure...Something bad happened...I'm Pretty sure that's where some of the guys are...

I coughed as I was pulled out of yet another daze, green smoke making my eyes sting as Oluo put his flare back in his holster.
"SIR! A MESSAGE!" A nameless scout rode up from the right, merging in with our formation momentarily. "THE RIGHT FLANK ENEMY SCOUTS HAVE BEEN DEVASTATED! THE RIGHT FLANK IS NOW BLIND TO ENEMY MOVEMENT!"

I wanted to move. I wanted to break away and go do what I apparently did best, but for some reason, I waited. Not for Levi's command, but Eld's.
"Petra. Pass it on." I could barely hear the captain as he spoke, but the woman shouted her compliance and parted from our formation. I fought against Boy as he tried to follow, my fists pulling tightly at his mane, whispering my apologies to him.

"You're doing real good, (Y/N)..." Eld gave me a small smile, but it was blatantly crooked. He was worried about something, and I could understand why. It was obvious that we were off course, and I could see the forest in the distance, growing closer by the second.
"Are we being pushed by the threat on the right flank..?" I questioned myself under my breath, ignoring the signal flares from the front of the widespread formation.

When we passed through the treeline, I felt an icy shiver down my spine, leaning my body over the arch in my horse's neck.
"...With just the central column in here, we can't detect approaching titans!" Eren was yelling out to the captain, eyes wide and confused. "Sir, how are we supposed to avoid the titans and protect the wagons?!"

Good question...

"Stop whining about the obvious. Of course we can't do any of that..." Levi responded bluntly, and a stunned silence washed over our entire squad. He went on to mention about how our surrounding environment was perfectly suited for our odm gear, and telling Eren to really think about the situation.