CHAPTER EIGHTY FIVE: Reality Check

"Up. Up."

"But I'm down..?" I blinked back at the small child who had followed me out into the middle of the field. She had been repeating the same word to me over and over, even though I was sitting beneath my usual tree.

"Up." Again, she repeated herself, making grabby hands, and I couldn't help but smile. Reaching out, I picked her up and plopped her in my lap, and she immediately snuggled into my chest.
"Hey, you're the little badass who bit Jean-Boy, aren't you?" I chuckled, mussing up her ashy brown hair. In response, she just bit at the air.

Alright, kids can be a little bit cute sometimes...

"Got a name?" The tiny thing couldn't have been older than three or four, so I wasn't expecting much conversation.
"Odd." Yes, cute but fucking weird. Shrugging off the strange response, I sat back and let the kid snuggle up to me.
"So, do you just say a handful of words, or what? Sorry, but you're an awful conversationalist."

The kid looked up at me with confused eyes. Eyes that just had to be the colour of honey.
"I'm three." Nope, I wasn't having it. I wasn't going to get attached to a little shit. Not a chance. It just wasn't in my nature. Still, it warmed my heart when she closed her eyes, tiny fingers clutching my shirt as she slipped into dreamland. I didn't have any choice but to sit there for an hour or two.

"I see you've met Odette." Glancing up, I came face to face with Historia, flanked by two interior policemen. Not wanting to do the wrong thing, I bowed my head respectfully.
"Your highness...So, that's her name, huh? Kids are weird, but this one takes the cake..." She giggled behind her hand, but I could tell the difference from the past. She was tired.

"Please, (Y/N). We're friends, so outside of official business, just keep calling me Historia." Glancing over her shoulder, she signalled for her guards to leave us be, but they didn't go far. I couldn't imagine how frustrating that kind of thing would be. "I'm glad I found you here. Can...we talk? I just don't really have anybody else to confide in..."

Nodding, I sat myself up a bit, making sure not to jostle Odette too much.
"Sure, I'm all ears." I watched the newly appointed queen adjust her skirt as she sat down, uncaring about whatever dirt and muck that would soil her clothing.
"Commander Hange gave me a letter that they took from Reiner, back in..." She trailed off, seemingly nervous to say the name.

Shiganshina...

"It's fine. Shiganshina. Go on, Kristoria." I urged her, even though it did hurt a bit to think about. Pursing her lips, she began to fiddle with her hands.
"It was a message from Ymir...I won't go into details, but...I can't stop thinking about it. It seemed like more of a goodbye than anything else...(Y/N), do you think that...she's dead..?"

Out of any question she could have asked, it had to be that one. I knew how important they had been to one another. They were in love, there was no other way of viewing it. Glancing down at the sleeping child, I brushed my fingers against her cheek.
"Do you want me to be honest..? Like, completely honest..?"

"Please...I came to you because I know that you wouldn't try to lie to me..." Historia sounded so desperate, but at the same time, I could tell that she already knew. She just wanted confirmation. Releasing a sigh, I looked back over to her.
"Even without reading what she wrote, I'm sorry, but I don't think they would have kept her alive...They would have wanted her titan..."

When she smiled, so melancholic and pathetic, it hurt. Not only because I felt bad for her, but because I was jealous. She could hold it together a lot better than I could.
"Thank you, (Y/N)...I appreciate your honesty..." Clearing her throat, she dabbed at her eyes a little bit with the back of her wrist. "Actually, there is one other thing I need to speak with you about."