CHAPTER FORTY EIGHT: Feeling Stable

"You're going to fall, (Y/N)..." Jean grumbled, shooting me a glare whilst he swept non-existent dust from the divots between the floorboards. He was probably right. I was standing on the tips of my toes, up on the table, trying to reach the ceiling with my duster.
"Yeah, well, what's one more hit to the head?" I shrugged, my tongue poking out from the side of my lips as I flailed the cleaning device around hopelessly.

"Death, you idiot..." Jean sighed, and I heard the clink of him dropping the broom, turning to watch him walk over with his hand held out. "Give it here. We'll switch." Our eyes narrowed in unison as I pulled the duster to my chest, letting my stubborn nature clash with his.
"I'm perfectly capable of reaching, Kirstein..." I huffed, pausing for a moment, realising something.

Well, I rode on Oluo's shoulders to reach that spider...so technically I did it myself...kind of...

"Turn around." I tilted my head, not letting my expression tip him off. Skeptically, the man obeyed, and the moment his back was to me, I vaulted on, causing him to stumble a little in surprise.
"Wh..what the hell are you-"
"I'm being resourceful." I cut him off with a smug chuckle, beginning to dust to my hearts content as he awkwardly held onto my ankles in fear I would fall off. "Move left, there's a cobweb in the corner."

Defeated, and rather stiff, Jean did what I asked, and I quickly noticed his grip relaxing. I allowed my eyes to trail down to his copper hair, appreciating the colour more than I thought. He was definitely an attractive young man, with his longer jaw and tall build, and I couldn't deny the fact that I had been getting that warm, tingly sensation around him in the recent weeks.

I know it's selfish...but...I wanna see if I get that same feeling...

"O..oi...lean back, would ya?" Jean hunched his shoulders a bit, which made me press further forward. It was then that I noticed my chest was resting upon his head, and I smirked to myself.
"Don't tell me I'm making you tight below the belt, Jean-Boy..?" I teased, even though my own face was heating up.
"You're a girl...Not my fault..." He muttered under his breath, but boy did I hear it loud and clear.

Gah...I can't do this...It's not right...I don't even know how I feel...

Leaning back a little, I pointed towards the opposite corner, threading my free fingers through his hair so I could keep myself from toppling off, just like I had done with Mike.
"Just gotta get those webs over there and I'll be out of your hair...Literally." At least I received a small snort at my joke as he moved as directed, and his movements were slow and steady, just for my sake.

"Hey...Can I ask you something..?" He spoke up after a while, just as I curled the last of the spider silk around my duster.
"Sure, I suppose I could humour you for a minute or two." I joked, kind of leaning to the side to see his face. He was looking down at the ground, shuffling his feet.
"Do you ever...think about what life would have been like if we never joined the military? Like, getting a normal job, starting a family...Those kinds of things? Is all of this really worth missing out on that?"

His question took me by surprise, and I began to chew the inside of my cheek as I thought about it. Those had been my exact plans with Eld, once upon a time. I had constantly dreamed of leaving the military life alongside him, getting married and having a couple of kids. A life without blood and violence, and one I had never known.

Unhooking my legs from his hands, I slid down his back, but for some reason I left my forehead pressed against him.
"I did...once...Now, though? Nothing would have worked out that well for me, even if I hadn't been pushed into this. Nothing is really worth it, when push comes to shove. No matter how we live, we all end up in the same place..."