CHAPTER TWENTY EIGHT: That Sound

"Hey, I'm gonna go ahead and meet up with Captain Levi!" Gunther called out as he zipped past us, giving us a quick thumbs up.
"Alright, catch ya later!" Eld replied, pausing on a tree branch to make sure we were all following. We had received a signal flare from Levi only minutes before, which let us know he wanted us to regroup and withdraw.

I'm kind of relieved...now we can all just go home...

"Hey, Pet..? Olu..?" I glanced over my shoulder, smirking slightly. "When you pissed yourselves on your first missions...did it spray through the air..?" I savored Petra's shriek as her cheeks blossomed, and Oluo nearly went ahead and bit his tongue.
"That's what I was gonna ask!" Eren gasped, and I started cackling, wobbling as I sped through the air.

"CAN WE JUST FORGET YOUR DAMN FIANCE EVEN MENTIONED THAT PLEASE?!" Petra wailed, absolutely mortified that her information had, for lack of a better word, been leaked.
"Why? It was glorious! It was like someone had popped a bottle of wine right out of your a-"

T    H    W    A    K

Everything seemed to freeze when I saw it. The limp, bloody body that bounced like rubber off of the tree ahead of us. The neck that was so terribly sliced and mangled; barely attached, and the dark, matted hair that I had decorated so many times with colourful floral crowns.

It was Gunther...and he was dead.

"G..Gunther..?!" Eld was the first to find his voice, and I could hear the sheer panic in his tone.
"Keep fucking moving, Eren! Don't stop!" Oluo immediately grabbed Eren by the hood, dragging him along as we all simultaneously spotted the enemy. Swallowing dry, I felt my heart skip a beat as I took in their cloaked appearance.

One...of us...

"Hurry! Quick as you can, to the captain, or any friendly forces! Protect Eren..!" Eld swooped ahead of me, blades drawn and at the ready, and I was the same. I didn't give a flying fuck about Eren, but I sure as hell wasn't prepared to let this traitor live after murdering Gunther.
"Come on!" Petra shrilly called out. "At the very least, we'll all go down together!"

No...Nobody else is going to fucking die today..!

We had passed by the assailant, and u thought, just for a split second, we were in the clear. That was until that glaring light burst out from behind us.
"Here it comes!" Oluo shouted, eyes wide. "The female titan!" I knew we had been right. There had been a pilot in that hulking bitch all along, and now it was sprinting after us again.

With a ripping snarl, Eren pivoted around, lifting his hand again.
"This time, I'm killing that thing!" I was all for it, if I was being honest, but I looked to Eld, who I knew would try to refute his decision.
"You can't!" He snapped loudly, sweat beading down the side of his face. "The three of us will bring down the female titan! (Y/N) will take you safely towards command!"

Wh..what?!

"Fuck right off! I'm fighting that thing! It's the four of us, Eld! Jaeger can fare for himself!" I barked angrily, hurt that he didn't trust me enough to be able to back them up. I could see the conflict on his face as he looked to me, and the fear was almost causing his earthy eyes to glow.
"(Y/N), please, this is an orde-"

"DIDN'T YOU HEAR YOUR DAMN CAPTAIN, ELD?! NOBODY CAN FORCE ME TO SUBMIT! FUCK, EREN, JUST TITAN UP ALREADY!" I'd had enough. I loved Eld, and I loved Petra and Oluo. I had loved Gunther, too. I wanted this to stop, and I knew Eren could finish it if he just made the right decision.