CHAPTER FIFTY NINE: Brats

I had been forced to step down from my duties the moment we had returned, and it was safe to say that I was beyond pissed.

Still, that didn't stop me from perching myself atop the wall to feel like a part of everything.
"(Y/N), for the last time, go to the inner wall!" Connie bonked me on the head with his grip handle, and I stuck my tongue out.
"Hey, I'm behaving! I just wanna watch you guys take this thing down! If things get bad, I'll just swing away!"

After being stitched up and having a quick nap, I had thrown my gear back on and limped to the wall, eager to be involved. Even if I was just moral support.
"No! Bad (Y/N)! Shoo!" Connie wasn't truly mad at me, I knew that, but I still chose to distance myself. Everyone was on edge.

I had been avoiding both Jean and Levi since return, simply because I knew they wouldn't give in to my stubborness so easily. The titan was awfully close to the wall now, having survived several rounds of cannon fire. It was only a matter of time before I would have to mosy on out of there.

Wandering along the wall, I came to where the second group was, working on putting together one of Hange's special weapons. I found it unfair that she was injured too, yet they let her help out. Erwin was busy debating with a ticked off looking Historia, so I just lingered around Eren, who was mumbling to himself, peering over the edge of the wall.

"Whatcha looking at, Jaeger? Want me to take over?" I asked with mock curiosity, hoping to be able to lend a hand before someone caught me.
"N..no, you shouldn't even be up here..." Eren replied, glancing to me before looking right back to what he was seeing. "Those kids down there...they're just like we were, on that day..."

Armin approached us from behind to look too, and I gazed down at a trio of children, sneaking closer to the wall.
"They probably shouldn't be here..." I murmured, the heat from the Reiss titan already reaching us.

"It's different than it was back then. Those kids have soldiers who are ready to protect them. Those kids will have us." Armin announced, moving back to tighten the ropes on the contraption.
"Uh...yeah...that's cool and all, Armin, but they're still way too freaking close for comfort..."

Eren was silent as he turned to look at Mikasa, who had just returned to balance another barrel.
"Eren, come on, we don't have a lot of time here." She lightly scolded, sounding more like a mother than a friend. Out of nowhere, Eren began to punch himself, and I began to back away.
"Uh, yeah, okay, this is my cue to just...yeah...bye..!"

Off I shot from the inner edge of the wall, all the way down to land directly in front of the kids. They startled, but I was sure I would have looked a hell of a lot cooler if I hadn't stumbled and grunted in pain.
"W..we were just taking a closer look! We've never seen a drill before!" Their ringleader, a brunet, puffed out his chest, but I could tell I had spooked him good by my sudden appearance.

A drill?

"So that's what they told you, huh?" I sighed, placing my hands on my hips as I looked down at them. It was all well and good that the others chose to spout lies to the people of Orvud, but I wasn't going to sugarcoat anything. "This is no drill, buddy. There's a titan, and it's real big. Close, too. I'm gonna need you lot to back away."

The smallest, a young girl with a freckled face, shrunk down, shifting to cling to the brunet.
"A t..t..titan..?!" Behind them, a bespectacled boy also seemed concerned, but he was trying to hide it.
"That's not what we were told. You're probably just trying to scare us."

Sighing, I crouched down, wincing as my thigh throbbed. A poor choice, but I wanted to get down on their level. They needed to realise I wasn't like the asshole MPs they were used to.
"Can I ask your names?" Using my softest voice possible, I waited for them to speak.