CHAPTER THIRTY FOUR: Shoulders

I hadn't realised that the 104th had already been relocated, but luckily it wasn't a very long commute, and the pair of us were already nearing the secluded destination after about three hours.

It didn't take me much time to understand Hange's earlier comment about the tall captain. He really wasn't much of a talker, but he was definitely a grade A listener.
"Hey, Mike...can I name your horse..?" I asked as we cantered along, pulling up a little closer to his side. He glanced over to me, giving his bay mare a pat on the neck.

"Already has one. Cissy." He explained in his ususal short, yet gentle way.
"Finally, someone who has the heart to name their companion!" I smiled a little, resting my rear back down against Boy's back. "You and Dita have been the only people I've met who have actually done that."

Mike slowed down to a rising trot, still watching me with his silvery eyes.
"Of course. They're soldiers themselves, and loyal partners. I'm glad that we agree on that." Without looking away, he pointed to the east, and I followed his extended finger to see a small gathering of buildings. "That's our station. We don't need to make a fuss when we get there. You're free to make your own decisions, as an acting captain."

I'm beginning to like this guy...

"Just one more question..." I swivelled back around and tilted my head. "Why did you sniff me when we first met? Hange just said it was your thing when I asked her, but I'm really curious." It had been on my mind ever since we had left, but I wasn't sure I would get a satisfactory response. Now that he was saying more than a few words, I had my hopes up.

"Everything on this earth has a unique scent. I feel more at ease when I know that about each of my comrades." He explained, seeming happy enough to quench my thirst for knowledge.
"Oh, you must have one hell of a sense of smell..." I mused, bouncing a little. "What do I smell like?"

"Hay, apples and damp earth." Mike announced with a nod, pausing for a moment. "I mean in a pleasant way, of course." Curiosity peaking, I continued to ask him about some of the others.
"What about Erwin? What does he smell like?"

"Parchment and ink. Sometimes metal."

"Oh oh oh! Levi! What about Levi?!"

"Black tea leaves and scorched firewood."

"Oh. Personally, I think he smells like a little bitch."

"Yes, that too."

------------------------------------------

The salutes and formal greetings I received along with Mike were rather overwhelming. I wasn't used to being treated like some kind of VIP, nor did I enjoy it. After requesting they leave Boy to wander freely, I quickly escaped and wandered into one of the buildings, hoping to find a quiet place to relax and think.

"(Y/N)?"

Ah, fuck...

Turning, I gave Krista a small wave, also nodding to Ymir, who stood behind her with a scowl. Many of the others were there, too, sitting around a large, wooden bench.
"I was wondering where you were. Thought it funny that our entire graduating class got herded out here without you." Reiner motioned for me to come over, and I reluctantly walked towards them, removing my hooded cape.

"Yeah, just got the memo, actually..." I chuckled dryly, coming to a stop at the end of the table.
"Why do you have your uniform on?" Connie reached out and tugged at my uniquely coloured jacket, cocking his head. "We were told to leave all that stuff back at the barracks...but you have all your gear and crap..."