CHAPTER SIXTY: Secret's Safe

Levi had told me to keep my 'crippled ass' in bed...

...so of course, I was right behind him in the ruins of the Reiss church, purposely stepping on his heels.
"Do you do this on purpose? Do you wake up in the morning and think, hey, I'm going to actively set out to make my captain's life a living hell?" He asked me sarcastically, stopping so that I would crash into his back.

"Guilty." I sung, balancing up on the toes of my left foot, leaning over his shoulder. "What're you gonna do about it? Step on me again?" It hadn't meant to come out the way it had, but it was too late to take it back. Turning his head to look at me, face close, he narrowed his eyes.
"I'll do more than just step on you. Back up, we have work to do. I can punish you later."

Ah, shit.

Nearly falling flat on my face when he began moving again, I limped along after the man, turning my focus to the rubble, in case there were any survivors. It seemed unlikely.
"I heard you saved some nosey brats from getting crushed." Surprisingly, Levi continued speaking to me, and I nodded.

"Yeah, I couldn't let them die. Now I've got myself a little fanclub." I snorted, carefully stepping over large clusters of stone and crystal.
"So, you're fond of brats, huh? Didn't take you for the motherly type." He hummed in response, crouching to push aside a clump to reveal a dented pistol.

"Not particularly. Never really seen the appeal..." I mumbled, pursing my lips as I found my own evidence of death. A twisted boot. "Who'd wanna bring a kid into a world like this? Besides, after my experiences, I don't think I'm cut out for that kind of thing. Don't wanna accidentally smack it with a broom and traumatise the little shit, y'know..?"

After a while of silence, I turned to find Levi staring at me, his expression not quite a glare. I responded with a simple shrug.
"I completely agree with you...minus the broom aspect..." He clicked his tongue and continued on, pushing us into a relatively comfortable silence.

"Captain Levi, Sir! We've found Kenny the Ripper! He's still alive!" One of our comrades called out from over the esge of the ditch, and even though I was several feet away, I swore I still felt the man flinch.

It was difficult to keep up with them until they slowed at the base of a hill, and I likely ruined the dramatic mood with my canine-esque panting. Keeping my groan to myself, I followed them up the slope, hooking my thumbs into my belt when they drew their guns, seeing as I didn't have one of my own.

"Kenny..." Levi spoke his name once we had stopped before him, and I immediately pitied the guy. The right side of his face was badly burned, and his stomach, where the captain had slashed, was still heavily bleeding. Opening an eye, he looked up at us, breath ragged.

"Ah...shit...not you agai-" The man's words were cut short as he began to cough and splutter, blood almost pouring from his mouth.
"We found what was left of your squad. They were buried in the cave in. Looks like you were the only survivor." Levi seemed indifferent, but I could feel the weight.

"Mmhmm...sure looks like it..." Kenny sighed, not an ounce of fight left in him. The captain's brow creased, and he pursed his lips, not taking his eyes away from the serial killer for even a moment.
"Report back. I'm fine alone..." He ordered, and the recruit nodded, turning to leave. "(Y/N). I'd like to speak with Kenny alone. I'd appreciate it if you would step away."

Yeah, it isn't my place to listen in here...

"Sure thing. I'll be down the hill." Giving Kenny one last glance, I turned and limped back down the slope, thankful that it was easier than the hike up. Once on the flat, I just stood there, back to the pair of them, who were completely out of earshot, besides the occaisional hacking cough.