CHAPTER THIRTY THREE: Simple Request

"Nice of you to join us, (Y/N)." Erwin greeted me as I strolled into his office, halfway through a bite of an apple I had swiped from the rations shed.
"It's really not..." Levi muttered under his breath when I sat down beside him, but I didn't pay any attention to his sour attitude, as I had one of my own.

"Can we make this quick? I'm tired and wanna go back to bed..." I mumbled, feeling Hange's perfectly timed yawn on a spiritual level. Erwin cleared his throat, standing up and placing his hands on his desk.
"This has already been discussed at previous meetings, and I am aware that this may seem incredibly sudden, and unfair, but I'm sending you out to the southern end of wall rose, (Y/N)."

Is it to late to leave..?

"Well, at least you're aware of your bullshit..." I mumbled, cocking a brow. "So, what's the issue? A breach or something? Sick of my shit? The latter seems more believable..." Levi nudged my leg with his knee and gave me a sharp glare, warning me to quit it with the sarcasm. Like he was one to talk.
"We have been ordered to study the remaining graduates of the one hundred and fourth, under the suspicion of being connected to Annie Leonheart."

Oh...

Part of me thought the whole idea was preposterous, but there was that small, nagging feeling telling me it could be very much possible. I hadn't suspected Annie; nobody had, and that resulted in bloodshed.
"Right...but if that's the case, then why haven't I been suspected..? I mean, I was the only survivor of the special operations squad massacre...and I came from outside the walls...Wouldn't I be on the top of their list?"

Erwin shook his head, casually tapping Hange on the head as she began to fall asleep, before he sat back down.
"You would think so, but your name actually hasn't been mentioned once. Not in that light, anyway. Personally, I don't believe you would be a traitor. Nobody does...Not after the way you reacted to Eren upon our return from the last expedition."

Ah...so people did take notice of that...

Relaxing a little, I leaned back on the couch and took another bite of my apple, crunching away loudly and thinking about the request.
"So, you want me and Levi to go babysit the new scouts? I can do that, I guess." I shrugged, glancing to the ravonet captain as he shook his head.
"Not me. I have other shit to deal with, so you'll be acting captain."

Usually, I would have been entertained by the fact I had spat half-chewed fruit all over the angry little bastard's face, but I was just a touch too startled to really bask in his panicked disgust.
"Hah?! Look, it's all well and good if it's the both of us, sure...but I'm not doing this on my own! What if one of them really is connected to...her..?! Normal titans are one thing, but when they're piloted by a person?! You're overestimating me..."

"I never said you would be alone, (Y/N). You shall be sharing command with Mike Zacharias, and his squad." Erwin calmly explained, completely aware of how I was about to react. I was up in his chiselled face in seconds, baring my teeth and glaring into impossibly blue eyes.
"In case you forgot, Winnie...that snorter is a package deal with the one person I refuse to work with..!" I hissed, daring to press my inferior brow to his. "My services came at the price of certain terms and conditions! This is going against that!"

No fucking way I'm working with Nicholas..!

Erwin, for once, seemed to react to my agression, but not in the way I would have expected. His features softened, and it was like I was staring into the soul of a human rather than a tin solider.
"I am completely aware of the fact that what I am asking of you goes against our deal, (Y/N)...but you're the one person I trust to succeed in this." He said calmly; almost gently, as he politely nudged me back with a hand to my good shoulder.

"What do I have to do with it? I...don't care about those guys...I just know I can't have Nicholas hovering around making me feel...nostalgic..." The thought of it made my guts twist, and I knew that was obvious to everybody in the room.
"If I may explain, Sir?" I turned to focus on the new figure who had joined our little meeting, and was met by the sight of perfectly parted blond and a defined nose.

"Mike, thank you for joining us at such short notice. Please, go right ahead." Erwin greeted the squad captain, motioning for him to take a seat, but the man shook his head, opting to stand as he approached me. I hadn't really noticed before, but his height was something else entirely. The top of my head reached just below his breast, which had me feeling just the slightest bit intimidated.

"You were chosen because you are a familiar face to those under under suspicion. Having somebody they are comfortable around, and have a bond with, makes the chances of a slip up much higher than if they were surrounded by just myself and my squad." His voice was a lot more mellow than I recalled, and I felt less concerned thanks to the fact that he wasn't trying to inhale my hair.

"I wouldn't say I have any bonds with those guys..." I mumbled, racking my brain to find as many faults in their plan as possible. "Besides, they aren't that gullible. They won't just eat up whatever excuse you make to drag them out there without asking questions." It was obvious I was just trying to avoid going, but I didn't quite care if I came off as a coward.

Mike scratched at his cheek and looked off to the side, past Hange's dipping head and out the window, where the sun was beginning to peek over the buildings.
"You trained with them, and you fought alongside them. Don't think I didn't see how worried those cadets looked when the Commander had that pistol raised." He yawned, glancing back down to me. "I get they'll be sceptical, but you're somebody who can put them at ease. You have every right to be bothered by your brother's presence, but I'll make sure he stays in line. If he bothers you, just tell me, and I'll put a stop to it."

"Wow, Mike...I don't think I've ever heard you say so much in a single conversation!" Hange mock gasped, suddenly much more alert than she had been only seconds ago. Dubious about his words, I tried my damn hardest to stand tall, but I still looked like I belonged in a creche compared to him.

"If...you're honestly going to keep him away from me...then I'll do it...on one condition..." I held up my finger, almost hearing the dramatic eyeroll I received from my captain.
"I've heard you're fond of conditions...Sure, I see no harm in it. What would you like?" Mike seemed rather amused, with a slight upturn of his lips as he waited for me to continue.

Using my lifted finger, I swung my arm out and pointed over to Levi, not once breaking that serious expression I was trying to hard to maintain.
"I want you to stand next to him. It is very important that I watch his ego wither and die."

"Fucking perish, you insolent little brat."

.
.
.
.
.

***I am aware that this happened immediately after Annie's capture, but I changed it because I could. This is a pretty bland attempt at a filler, and I'm incredibly tired and on day #2 of a hamgover, but I'll be writing more asap. Also, Mike Zacharias is a tall drink of sexy and I? love?? him???***