CHAPTER TEN: The Difference Between You and Me

Once I had confirmation that I would be killed on sight if the proposal was denied, I felt my courage grow considerably. That was perhaps why I was currently scrubbing the floor of the mess hall, along with the poor souls I had dragged down with me. Reiner, Jean, Connie, Sasha, Bertholdt and Marco.

"I mean, kudos to you for your skills and all...I can surely say they're on par with my own...but I don't see why we're getting punished for your crap!" Connie complained as he struggled to shift one of the dining tables.
"Yeah, it was kind of impossible to keep up with that, (Y/N)!" Sasha sighed as she eyed the scraps of potato peel sitting on the serving counter.

Basically, I had gotten rather shitted off with Shadis during our morning training. It was five in the morning, I hadn't slept and I was running on the knowledge that I may only have two weeks to live, so I rebelled. The exercise was pretty simple, really. Draw sticks to see who would lead the ODM course, and that person would set both the pace and route for the rest of their team.

I may have gone completely overboard; straying out of bounds entirely, and because I had my own style of swinging about, the rest of them just ended up tangled and battered. I was punished for my reckless behaviour, and they were punished for not being able to keep up. Unfair, but it didn't particularly bother me.

"Let's just forget about it and get this done before we get our asses served for lunch, alright?" Reiner said with a grunt as he helped Connie with the table. "Besides, we should be commending (Y/N) on her abilities, not whining over a little hiccup like that. We all know how Shadis is, and we all know how he targets her after that first time..." I gave him a quick glance as I continued to sweep the dust and rotting crud off the floor.

Why is he being so nice to me? It's not like I really have much to do with him...I guess he's just that type of person...

"Yeah, you're right..." Sasha had somehow ended up over by those nasty looking peels. "It was pretty cool. You were so damn fast!" A few of the others murmured their agreement, and I tried to distract myself from the embarrassment by moving to sweep the stairs.
"So, what regiment are you guys hoping to join when we finish training? I'm hoping for a cosy life as an interior policeman!" Connie thumbed himself, and Sasha nodded in agreement.
"Same here! Just imagine how well we'll be fed!"

"That's my aim, too. Screw fighting against titans..." Jean muttered as he scooted the mops and bucket into the middle of the room. "I ain't no suicidal maniac."
"Well, Reiner and I haven't really decided yet..." Bertholdt sighed as he approached to help. "Fighting titans...doesn't exactly sound like a great path to take..."
"What about you, (Y/N)? Interior Police, too? Or the Garrison?" When Marco questioned me, I felt my mouth go dry. Mention of the Garrison regiment made my stomach do flips, and I quickly shook my head as I paused midway up the staircase.

"No...I don't really have a choice where I end up. I'm being groomed to be a Scout..." I knew my mistake the second I saw their faces. Split right up the middle, half of them were merely shocked whilst the others gawked at me like I was insane.
"A Scout? Seriously? That's way too dangerous...Why would they force you to be a Scout?" Reiner was the one to break the silence, but Bertholdt quickly answered in my place.
"Well, it kind of makes sense, from a strategic point of view..." He hummed; scratching at his chin in thought. "She's familiar with the land outside of the walls on a whole different level...plus we've all seen her talents...I guess it's only natural they'd expect her to join their ranks."

Sheesh...He's a bit of a know it all, isn't he?

"So that's why that little captain guy is always around you!" Jean exclaimed as he almost knocked over the filled bucket. "I thought he was just putting you through the paces because you joined training so late, but nope, you're his little lapdog!" He was twirling that damned mop all over the place; spraying water left, right and center.
"I..I'm not his lapdog, Kirstein..." I growled under my breath. My hands were gripping the broomstick so tightly I thought I could feel it splintering, and I was ready to kick his ass again.
"You totally are! He's only using you as cannon fodder, yet you're letting him call all the shots! How'd you even get outside of the walls, anyway?!"