CHAPTER SEVENTY FOUR: Personal

"Hey, you know a chunk of your hair is all stuck together..?"

Connie moved to touch it, and I seized his wrist in a flash, trying to will away the heat in my cheeks.
"I got food in it. Yeah. Gonna go take a shower..." I lied, releasing him once I was sure he wouldn't try to reach for it again.

I had left Jean sleeping in his room, after an hour long struggle of trying to escape his embrace. It was cruel leaving without a word, I knew that, but it was already late in the morning, and I just knew it was going to be awkward if he woke up.

"Anyway, like I was saying. Sash was so mad at me for forgetting her last night. I have to share my rations with her for a whole week now to make up for it." Connie complained, strolling along beside me as I headed back to the women's living quarters.
"I told you not to forget about her. Man, everyone was so distracted last night..."

Me especially...

Things were quiet around the barracks, which was strange for nine in the morning. People must have really kept the party going to sleep in so late.
"So, you and Jean, huh?" Connie's teasing jab caused my shoulders to stiffen, but I kept walking.
"You're so lucky I don't have my blades on me, man."

Chuckling, he nudged me in the side with his elbow.
"Oh, come on. Don't tell me you two didn't share a couple of smooches before you tucked him in." The heat was back, this time in full force, and I sped up a little.
"He puked his guts up. Why the hell would I want to taste that?"

I wasn't going to openly admit to him what had happened between me and Jean. Not yet, at least. I was still reeling from the experience myself. Anyone else's advice on the matter would just confuse me more. Jean felt right, in more than one sense, but I couldn't help but doubt that feeling.

Finally fleeing from my friend, I got myself cleaned and dressed, having one hell of a time trying to wash out the crusty, matted mess in my hair. After that, I went about with my duties for the day, specifically avoiding both Jean and Levi.

A few hours was more than enough with Hange, helping her oversee the supplies being loaded up. Moblit and I bonded a lot during that short time, barely speaking, but having deep conversations with our eyes as the brunette bounced from place to place, gushing about the new thunder spears she had commissioned.

After lunch, I went to check on the horses, and to make certain we had enough of them for our large scale venture. It was more of an excuse to just chill out for a little while before jetting off to my next task, which was servicing my gear. Marco had taught me well, but it still took me longer than I had liked to put it all back together properly.

Finally, I found myself in Erwin's office, exhausted after trying to keep my mind off of reality all day. I laid stomach down across his desk, and he used my back to stack his paperwork.
"You might miss dinner if you don't get a move on." He pointed out, placing another sheet on his pile.

"If I eat I'll puke. Besides, I wanna spend a bit more time with you before we leave..." Sighing, I tried to keep my breath shallow so his work wouldn't slip off.
"We don't leave until sundown. There's still an entire day." He replied, though he sounded kind of happy.
"I know, but you'll be too busy..."

Erwin's hand came down upon my head, ruffling my hair fondly.
"You're welcome to keep me company, but if you'd like, you may also accompany me tomorrow during final preperations." I responded with a nod, rolling off the desk when I felt him lift his papers from my body.

"I'd like that. Most of the other captains don't seem to like me all that much..." It made sense, really. I was just a snot nosed brat compared to them, and I hadn't even bothered to remember their names.
"Are you sure you aren't just trying to avoid Levi?"