CHAPTER SEVENTY SIX: Between a Rock and a Hard Place

"R..Reiner..?"

My voice barely came out as a whisper, which didn't make any sense, considering I had a blade beginning to slice into the side of my neck. There he was, right in front of me, pushing me down and prepared to kill me.

Until he realised who I was.

Reiner's pupils dilated further in shock, gold becoming engulfed with black. His breath hitched loudly in my ears, and suddenly I was being pushed away in a freefall. Only seconds later, time froze as I watched something enter the side of his neck, emerging from the other side, blood dancing through the air.

W..wait...no...

Levi had impaled Reiner's neck, and was charging him down the side of the wall, full force. The fury in his expression was terrifying, and so was the lack of any reservations when it came to the blond he had just ended.

At least I thought he had. Even when I was roughly jolted by an arm around my waist, I saw Reiner react. He wasn't even close to death. Just what was he? When he hit the ground, I didn't see it, as I was being carried upwards, towards the top of the wall, but I certainly heard it. I couldn't mistake the sound of a body making contact with the earth. Our landing was poorly executed, and we skidded and rolled, my face and chest taking most of it.

"(Y/N)! Your neck!" Before I could even try to sit up, my saviour was trying to look at my wound, his worry almost overwhelmingly sincere.
"J..Jean, I'm fine..!" I pulled his hand away, but kept hold of it for a few moments, catching his eye. "It's not deep enough to kill me, okay? H..he let me go when he saw my face..."

He won't kill me...

I had stopped flinching during a titan's transformation, our faces lighting up momentarily as the world turned to gold. Allowing Jean to pull me to my feet, I chose to not look over the edge just yet. I needed to compose myself first.
"Keep your eyes open!" Erwin had appeared at my other side, his hand coming to rest against my back. "We still need to find his allies!"

This time around, my entire soul seemed to attempt an escape when that loud crash sounded from behind us. My body continued the jolted wave that passed through Erwin's, and we slowly turned around.

The Beast Titan had appeared, flanked by it's own army of regular, flesh eating titans. They hadn't just been prepared. They had pushed us into a corner like prey. When it reached for something by it's side, I knew what was coming, and I seized both Erwin and Jean by the capes, trying to pull them away.

"Incoming boulder! Get down!" We didn't move in time, but it didn't matter. It hadn't been aiming for those of us on top. As the wall trembled and shook, I could hear the startled cries and panicked whinnies from below, where the newest soliders were guarding the horses.

It's trying to make sure we can't escape...

"He blocked the entrance...There's no riding through it now..." I murmured, trying to focus on the multiple, more important issues at hand as the side of my neck stung. Erwin was speaking again, but I wasn't able to focus on that. All I could do was search through my own self for some form of courage.

"Commander. He's about to climb." Levi stood behind us, voice calm, motioning to the inside of the wall. Swallowing back the urge to flee, I glanced to Jean, motioning for him to return to his post. He was reluctant, but with one final nod, he did as I had urged him to.

"Soliders! You are not yet to engage the armoured titan!" Erwin commanded, echoing throughout the area. "Maintain a safe distance!" I remained quiet as everyone chorused their understanding, still unable to bring myself to look down at the man I had once known.