1

TW// MENTION OF SUICIDE

---------

LOU'S POV

It all started when my best friend killed herself.

It was the beginning of summer break, and no one saw it coming.

I had met with Maya and Allie, my other best friend, the day she killed herself. It was nice, we had fun and I saw Maya joyfull, happy, almost like she was having the best time of her life. We've been friends since kindergarten, the three of us, Maya, Allie and me. Still, Allie and I don't know what was crossing through Maya's mind when she decided to end her life.

I remember it all perfectly after her suicide. I hadn't gotten out of bed for the rest of summer break and I had ignored Allie's texts and calls from everyone who wanted to bullshit me with some 'I'm so sorry for your loss'.

Maya had been my first real friend, I had watched her grow and turn into the beautiful woman she was... hell, she had been my first kiss! We were best friends and having to lose her was the worst that had ever happened to me. Not to mention she never told us anything, she never showed any sorrow or sadness, she was never depressed... she was the only person I ever met that had so much light inside her.

Anyway, Maya killed herself. The funeral was nice and quiet, although there were too many fake friends of hers for my liking, and I had not talked to anybody but Miss Nelson, Maya's mom and Pete, her older brother.

Now you might ask yourself, how does the suicide of my best friend have anything to do with the fact that I got involved with my teacher? Well, it has everything to do.

-----------------

Today we were going back to school after summer break. After all that had happened, I was surprised I felt capable of standing up from bed this morning and fake a smile for my sister and mother. I wished my dad had been there to hold me and tell me things were going to be okay, but just like Maya, he had been gone for a while now.

I sat at the kitchen isle and poured myself some coffee, along with a bowl of cereal. Nicole stared at me weirdly so I looked up to her and said, "Would you please stop staring?"

"Sorry," Nicole said, looking elsewhere. She was my older sister but only by a few years, she was 21 and I had turned 18 before spring break. I had repeated third grade after my dad had died, which pretty much killed something inside me, "I heard Miss Nelson quit though. Did you know about that?"

My eyes widened as I looked at my sister again, "She quit?!"

"Who quit?" Said my mom as she entered the kitchen, staring at both Nicole and I.

I ran a hand through my hair and sighed, but Nicole responded for me, "Pete told me Nora quit."

"Nora Nelson?" Mom questioned.

I rolled my eyes, "Do you know any other Nora's?" I asked, quite sassy for her liking.

She rolled her eyes now, "Lou, would you please watch your tone?" She asked in a nice way. I hated her for that, acting like I was porcelain and I would break if she ever raised her voice at me.

I sighed and ate my cereal, ignoring conversation between Nicole and my mom, not wanting to hear the mention of Miss Nelson or Maya anymore, because it hurt too much. Miss Nelson was indeed Maya's mom and also our English teacher, she was the nicest teacher out there and was such a nice woman to be around. She had raised Maya and Pete on her own, and now that Maya was gone, I couldn't blame her for quitting her job.

I drank my coffee in record time and grabbed my things quickly, I didn't want to be late for school. As I walked down the corridor to the door, mom pulled my arm gently, causing me to turn around and face her.