63

DIANE'S POV:

I looked behind me to the sight of Sarah's sleeping face, one leg sticking out of the bed. She looked silly. It was one in the morning. Christmas' eve. 24th December. I had been looking forward to Christmas break but I didn't think it would start with the image of a sleeping Sarah.

Sophie had let us stay in the same room I stayed at last time, she had started to show a bit and Christopher seemed to actually like Sarah. They (Sophie) insisted we stayed for Christmas, but of course I declined multiple times. We didn't get to go to the Mexican restaurant that I knew, but it didn't matter because at least I got what I wanted and I even got time to stop by at a shop that I knew back when I lived here.

"Yes, we got the papers. I should be back home tomorrow before lunch." I said on the phone. "Maybe we can have dinner on New Years." I suggested, a small smile playing on my lips.

I missed Lou. I missed her and I wished she could be here instead of Sarah.

"What do you wanna order? Wait... if it's New Years, will there be anything open?" Lou asked, her voice dreamy.

I giggled and cut her off before she kept rambling, "What do you wanna order?" I asked.

"I always pick." Lou said, "It's time you choose."

"Okay then. But you've got to wear anything but baggy jeans and sweatshirts." I said, picturing exactly where I wanted to take her for the beginning of the new year.

I grabbed onto the covers and gripped them closer around my body. I was sleeping in the bed that Lou had slept in when we came here for Thanksgiving, and Sarah slept in the bed I previously occupied.

"You're gonna make me wear a dress? In your house? Wouldn't that be weird?" She asked, and I could imagine the confused expression she would be doing.

"I'm taking you somewhere, outside. In public." I said, bragging.

She gasped, "In public?!"

I smiled and chuckled a bit, "I thought we could get away for the weekend again, like we did that one time."

"Yeah well that one time wasn't as good when we came back."

I scoffed and rolled my eyes, "But this time you will not have to lie to your mother, and if she says no to you, I'll ask her myself."

"Okay. Then yeah, I'd love to." Lou said on the phone.

"Merry Christmas" I said. "I love you."

"Merry Christmas. I love you too. I've got to go to sleep." Lou replied, yawning.

"Alright. Have a good night."

After I ended the call with Lou, I tossed and turned in bed for what felt like hours. I couldn't sleep, and the sight of a resting Sarah a few feet away from me only drew jealousy in me.

The darkness turned into the sunrise and the sun was up after what felt like years. Sarah woke up, yawned and stretched her slim body before standing up and saying her goodmornings.

I felt a little numb, and exhausted... So Sarah was going to drive the rental car back, and I was gonna sit there and do nothing.

*

Christmas was nice. I spent it with my father, we don't pray or do the turkey thing or anything like people typically do. I don't think we ever had a normal Christmas when I was a kid, we never had a Christmas tree and we still don't.

My dad says that we only do something about it because everyone else does and it seems fun.

We sat on my father's backyard, each in a blanket on the grass, as if we were having a picnic in the middle of the night. Aaron's tree was a few feet away.